Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forums repeatedly and reviewed the library as well as Google searches in an effort to determine if Kribs would be compatible in a mixed Mbuna tank?

Aquarium is 125 gallon with tons of places to hide, both big and small.

Anyone with any experience or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Mbuna are too active, and even the mildest are too aggressive to keep with Kribs. Add to this that Kribs are basically a species of soft, slightly acid waters and Mbuna prefer fairly hard alkaline conditions, and it just adds up to a bad idea.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chromedome52 said:
Mbuna are too active, and even the mildest are too aggressive to keep with Kribs. Add to this that Kribs are basically a species of soft, slightly acid waters and Mbuna prefer fairly hard alkaline conditions, and it just adds up to a bad idea.
Thanks for your reply. Have already tried a Clown Loach and Cory in there...they went to that Great Tank in the Sky.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've had no issues with Clown loaches, other than Clown Loach vs Holey Rock.
Holey Rock won that one.

My remaining CL is doing great.

A friend has a 10" CL in his 125, doing just fine.

However, yes, I would say Kribs + Mbuna = Mbuna.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I actually have had 3 kribs in my mixed 90 gallon, they're very healthy however have not spawned, they do well as a community fish with my zebras, peacocks, haps, and some convicts I inherited. I'm planning to move them to a 55 g grow out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think that mbuna is probably not the best idea the water requirements and agression just do not match up.

If you are looking to mix it up. Something that I did long ago was mix some Kribs with South American Rams and Gymnogeophagus australis because of their soft to neutral water requirements. It ended up being a pretty sweet tank. With the Kribs taking up the rock dweller niche, the Rams the upper water collumn and the Earth Eaters the gravel sifting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts