Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male and female kribensis in a 20 gallon tank (just by themselves). The kribs haven't paired up yet. The male likes chasing the female sometimes, leaving the female at the top of the tank. She also has some nipped fins. I don't know why they haven't paired up yet, the female has a large red belly and occasionally curves her body at the male. Could someone help me?
Thanks

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
plsm said:
the male has been for about 3 weeks, the female for about 6 weeks
You need patience... sometimes it will take a bit of time. Are the fish even mature? How big are they? Until the feel comfortable, and settle in.. nothing will happen.

Give the female plenty of cover, regular water changes, and good food, soon you'll not be sure what to do with all the babies.

(assuming you indeed have a male and female)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Also you can add a tetra or two, I've read fish that school have a calming effect on kribs. It will also allow the two to eventually pair up. Essentially dither fish. Tiger tetras would be a good size and wouldn't really increase the bioload at all. I imagine a group of 3 or 4 would work to showcase the "schooling". How big are they?

G

·
try some artificial caves.. do you have any flowerpots on their side in there? hey all my kribs do is die so you are ahead of the game far as im concerned lol... i find it really hard to sex kribs also.. wasnt really sure about what it said on the profile sections here... maybe you have 2 males?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fogelhund said:
plsm said:
the male has been for about 3 weeks, the female for about 6 weeks
You need patience... sometimes it will take a bit of time. Are the fish even mature? How big are they? Until the feel comfortable, and settle in.. nothing will happen.

Give the female plenty of cover, regular water changes, and good food, soon you'll not be sure what to do with all the babies.

(assuming you indeed have a male and female)
The female is about 1.5 inches long, the male is about 2 inches long.
I don't know what to do about the female, the male is really aggressive against her.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chunkanese said:
Also you can add a tetra or two, I've read fish that school have a calming effect on kribs. It will also allow the two to eventually pair up. Essentially dither fish. Tiger tetras would be a good size and wouldn't really increase the bioload at all. I imagine a group of 3 or 4 would work to showcase the "schooling". How big are they?
So you reccomend tiger barbs, but i dont think my tank is big enough although *** seen people suceed putting some fish in with them.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You can also try a temporary divider if the aggressoin gets really bad. Make sure it's one that they can see through, so it gives him a chance to know she's there and accept her presence.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yes I have about 30 fry from my first spawn right now. I have them in a 20 with sand plenty of plants and sandstone . I also have 6 zebra danios for dithers, they paired in 3 days and spawned a week later. I started with 3 males and one female to pair up. Good luck !

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Males are usually longer then females with a faded color. My female is way more aggressive then the male. If they pair and spawn get dithers or they will kill each other and fry. Spread the aggression to the dithers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Flippercon said:
Males are usually longer then females with a faded color. My female is way more aggressive then the male. If they pair and spawn get dithers or they will kill each other and fry. Spread the aggression to the dithers.
Would five tiger barbs be ok with them?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have tiger barbs in other tanks and they can be a little aggressive at points. You want to avoid that if trying to raise fry. Danios are my choice for dithers due to temperament and price. Tiger barbs might work but make sure they are juvies

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
got 8 zebra danios (one with a deformed spine unfortunately), the kribs have miraciously paired up within minutes of the danios' prescence :)

don't know why? but its a good thing :D

best of all the kribs show no interest in the danios, not a bit of violence

thanks for the advice guys :thumb:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Nice. Make sure you have a cave like area and make sure its dark. They lay the eggs under things but its like they attach if to celings . So if you are looking for eggs look there. They will end up attacking the danios, but don't worry thats what they are for . Good luck keeps posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts