Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine layed eggs for the first time a couple days ago but she ate them. i know thats normal but how long until they breed again?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a pair that breed almost continuously. If the brood is successful, they will protect the fry for about 1 month before they breed again and then they chase the previous fry away. If the eggs don't hatch or are lost to predation from tankmates, they will start breeding almost immediately after they sense the eggs are gone. However, this is my 3rd pair. My first pair was more methodical and bred more selectively. But their broods were much larger. They only bred 3 times, but the first brood was over 30 fry, the second was about 80, (that I successfully pulled out of the tank) the third was about 20. Then they just stopped. (maybe they were exhausted)...This current female seems to lay just a few eggs at a time and broods typically are about 10 with about a 50% survival rate.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The best thing you can do is keep water quality up with water changes and feed them occasional frozen or live foods once or twice weekly..other than that, they should show interest in breeding pretty soon..what size aquarium do you have them in??? What are the tankmates??

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have them in a 29 gal and there are 5 serpae tetras and a few plecos

:lol: and maybe some barry white lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.