Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I call him killer, because he will try and kill any tank mates as soon as you add him. He is in solitary confinement in a 25g right now, but hope to move him to a 180g w/ other CA cichlids. He is about 6-7'' long and feel this tank is too small for the long term. I did give him a swordtail to chase around. He hates swordtails more then any other fish lol..

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Elijah said:
Awesome looking fish! What kind of fish is that again?
Thanks. It is thorichthys ellioti or now called thorichthys maculipinnis. They are closely related to firemouths.

·
Registered
532 Posts
O, ok. I wasn't sure as I wasn't familiar with them. But they are really cool looking, aren't they supposed to be peaceful community fish?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Elijah said:
O, ok. I wasn't sure as I wasn't familiar with them. But they are really cool looking, aren't they supposed to be peaceful community fish?
When it comes to CA cichlids I don't think there is such a thing as peaceful IMo. A lot depends on the personality of the fish. My firemouth is pretty aggressive as well, but my ellioti is more aggressive. Hopefully killer will be more peaceful in a 180g. The other tanks I tried him in were only 4'-55g and a 72g. He wanted all 4' to himself!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Beautiful fish.

Mine was a terror too and I had to give it away. Also hated swordtails LOL.

....Bill

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MonteSS said:
Beautiful fish.

Mine was a terror too and I had to give it away. Also hated swordtails LOL.

....Bill
Thanks Bill and that is funny. Mine also enjoys eating swordtail fry. He is also a glass banger and tried to bite me through the glass. I also get worried about him hitting the tank lid trying to get that swordtail.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi phishes,

You have an amazing thorichthys. I had not herd of one being a glass banger before, interesting and cool.

I like the body shape of your fish. Does he seem to be still growing or do you think he is pretty much full grown?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mlancaster said:
Hi phishes,

You have an amazing thorichthys. I had not herd of one being a glass banger before, interesting and cool.

I like the body shape of your fish. Does he seem to be still growing or do you think he is pretty much full grown?

Thanks,
Matt
Thanks Matt. He is full grown and think he is pushing 7''. Thorichthys body shape varry depending where they are found in Mexico. You will see some t. ellioti that don't have the same shape, and have different color patterns. I beleive they all get to be around 7'' full grown.
To compare here is a pic of my firemouth. He is only 5'', but every bit as colorful as the ellioti.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
justin3p0 said:
what kind of plants are those?
Hornwort at the top, amazon sword on the right, java moss on the bottom. I also have anubias bartari and crypto wendtii in there. The ellioti has been trying to dig up the swordplant, so I have some large rocks at the base. He leaves the other plants alone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts