Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 of my wc kilesas are ill - heavy breathing and loss of appetite being the main symptoms. They are not being stressed at all, the water parameters have been tested and are all fine and no other fish in the tank seem to be affected. I have treated for bloat with Metro (Octozin) at an elevated dosage 3 times now and have also tried treating for gill parasites. I have also added a good dose of salt to the water all to no effect other than temporary relief, but then symptoms return. The one fish has been like this for 2 weeks now and I'm running out of ideas so any suggestions welcome. They were in a 72" tank but are now in a 36" hospital tank.
Feeding bloodworm may have been the initial cause (I don't feed it anymore) but otherwise I am stumped so all suggestions welcome. (Clout is not available in the UK.)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Try frozen peas. Put a few in a cup of hot water for 5 min. then peel them and feed them to the fish. If they will eat them, it will clear out their digestive system. It isn't a guaranteed cure, and they may be too sick too eat them, but it's worked for me.

·
Registered
356 Posts
when you say you added salt what did you add?

Epsom salt is a laxitive and will help clean out their systems.

regards,
Steve

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frozen peas? They are not eating.

I always add epsom salts anyway to harden the water. It is Sodium Chloride that I add for medical reasons.

They both made a half hearted attempt to eat some cyclops this morning so maybe things are looking up, but I am just curious as to what has caused it.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
When you say you treated with metro three times, how exactly did you treat?
metro only stays active for 8 hours. Whenever I have used metro to treat my Tropheus, I treat three times per day for one week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts