Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As with any new group of fish, I obsess trying to figure out how best to photograph them. A fast moving kilesa & callo tank presented me with a new challange (espccially without my DSLR). I also battle tank imperfections: I picked up as a used tank and it has some beauty marks that drive me a little crazy (it takes some paint shop pro work to remove the beauty marks). In any event, I am starting to like the photos a little more. The male kilesa has colored up and is defending his pit and trying to entice the girls into it. Combine that with all the male callos coloring up and it has been a fun and pretty tank to watch.

I have bombarded you guys with pics - sorry :oops: I'm in that "new toy phase" with this tank. I always love all the pics you guys post so hopefully I am not torturing you :)

Anywho, here are some recent pics....

Male kilesa defending his pit and sand castles. I just couldn't crop out that subdominant male shooting accross the top.
Looks like the camera focused on him instead of the big male in the pit.
I was hoping to get the big male in focus because his gills were flaring

I like the sub male spitting sand on the left and the color of the male collo above him

The Big dominant male letting the sub know "who the boss is."

The sub dom male and one of the girls

I've got two males that are much smaller, here is one of them with one of the male callos coloring up

Couple of the girls

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Brett Harrington (aka Fogelhund) in his species artcile stated that...

Callochromis pleurospilus is a fish that is stunningly beautiful, in a very subtle way. You may not notice the colours from across a room, but once you get up close to a male who is displaying, it is an assault of colour you won't soon forget.
Brett, now that these guys are setling in and started spawning, I can now understand why you wrote what you did. I have tried to capture that in my pictures...

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Love the kilesa photos the callo leave me unexcited. Maybe they will give more later but so far erm not worth the tank room? But perhaps their interest is in the behaviour, so hard to catch on photos?

All the best James

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
24Tropheus said:
...the callo leave me unexcited. Maybe they will give more later but so far erm not worth the tank room? But perhaps their interest is in the behaviour, so hard to catch on photos?...
Hey James,

I can certainly appreciate what you stated. The main reason I got them was to have a tank mate for the kilesa that would not bother the kilesa's spawning activities and they seemed like a fish that would spawn for me and also a fish that I could sell (however, not as quick as a kilesa). When I got them, there was no color at all and now the males are coloring up (not on the scale of a kilesa).

I will say that they are very fun to watch. My two dominant males have staked out their territories: one on the far right side of the tank and one on the far left. In the absence of a spawning female, they have an imaginary line in the center of the tank that they will not cross because it is the other guy’s territory (they will make a mad rush at the line but not cross it). :lol:

Add a spawning female into that equation, and the fun begins. They each dig a volcano-ish pit on their side of the tank and they will lure the female over and they will not let her escape. Then the other male will come over to steal her. This is done with a lot of activity, fins flaring, and much fancy posturing. They female will get stolen by each many times. It's a riot :lol:

About the color (or lack thereof)... they have grown on me and I like their color now. I am very glad I got them. They have already given me fry and more on the way.

They are definitely not the main attraction of a tank, but they can be a fun tank mate to add. I could see using them instead of cyps in many applications.

Russ

·
Registered
180 Posts
Gorgeous fish and pics as usual Russ. No experience here (yet) with Cyps or Callos but both are considerations for my two 48" tanks I'll be setting up soon. Thus my confusion with your statement:

I could see using them instead of cyps in many applications.
"Them" referring to callos. Help me out here. Not sure what you mean by using a bottom dweller (callos) in place of a top dweller (cyps). On the surface, seems to me they'd be housed together to "compliment" each other rather than using one as a substitute for the other :-? Just curious what you meant.

Tom

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TMB60 said:
Gorgeous fish and pics as usual Russ. No experience here (yet) with Cyps or Callos but both are considerations for my two 48" tanks I'll be setting up soon. Thus my confusion with your statement:

I could see using them instead of cyps in many applications.
"Them" referring to callos. Help me out here. Not sure what you mean by using a bottom dweller (callos) in place of a top dweller (cyps). On the surface, seems to me they'd be housed together to "compliment" each other rather than using one as a substitute for the other :-? Just curious what you meant.

Tom
I guess, I consider callos a medium level tank dweller. When spawning, the spanwing pair will be on ground level.

Russ :)

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I have a different Callochromis, but I am surprised that they are all over the tank...even at the surface with the cyps.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Razzo said:
Brett Harrington (aka Fogelhund) in his species artcile stated that...

Callochromis pleurospilus is a fish that is stunningly beautiful, in a very subtle way. You may not notice the colours from across a room, but once you get up close to a male who is displaying, it is an assault of colour you won't soon forget.
Brett, now that these guys are setling in and started spawning, I can now understand why you wrote what you did. I have tried to capture that in my pictures...
Unfortunately, it seems nearly impossible to get a photo of these guys that truly captures their colour.

·
Registered
318 Posts
24Tropheus said:
Love the kilesa photos the callo leave me unexcited. Maybe they will give more later but so far erm not worth the tank room? But perhaps their interest is in the behaviour, so hard to catch on photos?

All the best James
So harsh! Well, you could always go for Malawis James!! :wink:

The Callos look and sound like a classic tang to me - not a lot of colour apparent, but great behaviour and character.... one day I will work my way down my most wanted list to them.
Jeff

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Harsh mate? :lol: No I like em just kind of a few other Tangs I think I like more from photos. Nice bit from Razzo about how its the behaviour thats the interest. Malawi cichlids give me a brake, now its you who are being harsh. :wink:
True I still have 6 species of Malawis for the colour wow factor but 90% of my stock is Tangs and that side will prob increase. :thumb:

All the best James

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mokujin22 said:
Outstanding shots of some really nice fish. :thumb:

How big is the tank again?
72 gallon bow front.

Thanks,
Russ :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I guess, I consider callos a medium level tank dweller. When spawning, the spawning pair will be on ground level.
Thanks for clarifying Russ. With their "sand dweller" label and from what I've read, I would not have assumed this. But again, I'm learning not to assume anything about Tangs :D

Thanks for sharing your beautiful fish with us. And no such thing as "too many pics" :wink:

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TMB60 said:
I guess, I consider callos a medium level tank dweller. When spawning, the spawning pair will be on ground level.
Thanks for clarifying Russ. With their "sand dweller" label and from what I've read, I would not have assumed this. But again, I'm learning not to assume anything about Tangs :D

Thanks for sharing your beautiful fish with us. And no such thing as "too many pics" :wink:

Cheers,
Tom
You bet Tom :)

They are really all over the tank (top to bottom). They do sift sand like the kilesa and spit it out their gills and they are earth (sand) movers when it comes to spawning. Sand dweller/sifter is probably a good categorization for them.

Cheers,
Russ

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Longstocking said:
I'm surprised this combo works out... I have kept both ...

Which one is the dominant fish? I would think the callochromis are?
I am not sure if one is dominat over the other (it changes). When the callos were spawning I thought they were and then the big male kilesa built his pit and he was dominant. Most of the aggression I see is callo to callo.

They seem to be doing well together for me. These same fish did well together for my friend who I got them from.

Fingers are crossed :)

Russ

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Longstocking said:
How large are each of them?

Just thought I would share an old pic of my Callochromis.... Still, did not capture the true colors and he wasn't in spawning colors...

Beautiful fish :)

Pictures just will no do callos justice. Callos are a very fun fish to watch - I am very glad I got them.

My males are about 4 to 5"

Russ

·
Registered
112 Posts
I hope you don't mind

You're right about capturing their colours with a picture! people MUST see this fish in real life

Here is mine
The female died and now he is very depressed
But I have a few more growing up to add to the tank

1 - 20 of 28 Posts