Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new to this site and I was hoping I could get some advice from some experts as there is so much conflicting information on the internet and I really want to get this right. I have a 240l planted tank with the following fish:
4 x bronze corys
3 x sterbai corys
7 x danios
7 x platies
4 x otocinclus
6 x harlequin rasboros
Do you think it would be possible to keep some keyhole cichlids in the tank I addition to these? I was originally considering Bolivian Rams however I have been told that keyhole cichlids would be much more suitable and interesting. I don't want to just go by the recommendations of my lfs, as I don't want to make any mistakes. Everything I have read on the internet seems to suggest this is correct but I don't want to just go ahead and add them.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think either Bolivian rams or keyholes would be fine. In my experience, both species are fine in community tanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying. Would you just get a pair or do you think it's possible to have more? I read somewhere that 6-8 is best, but I also read that only a pair would be ok.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a single keyhole in my 20 gallon and I can certainly vouch for them in any community tank. I have a bunch of other cichlids (convict, rainbow, Jewel, Firemouth) that I would never put with anything other than cichlids or corys but my keyhole has been with many other fish and I have had zero problems. They are MUCH shyer than other standard sized cichlids and as far as aggressiveness goes, I would put them about the same as rams or other dwarf cichlids. I have had rams before and I much prefer Keyholes because they are hardier and much easier to keep albeit a bit bigger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts