Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum. I have made a few rookie mistakes with keeping my cichlids, but plan to fix them soon as possible. I've got 3 species in a 55 gallon tank right now, 2 Kenyi, 4 Electric Yellow, and 2 Yellow Tail Acei. I plan on upgrading to a 75 or larger, but anyways, to get to the point.

I've had these fish for about 4 months, and the Kenyi are getting huge! I was wondering if I could get help sexing these two. One is almost 3 inches, and has almost no bars and is a lightish grey-blue, so I thought he would be a male because he almost has a yellowish-goldish tint to him. But I thought they went through the color morph at around 2 inches. The other I'm pretty sure is female, shes about 2 1/2 inches, and shes got the classic blue barring and light blue color.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
mattawan_cichlid said:
Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum. I have made a few rookie mistakes with keeping my cichlids, but plan to fix them soon as possible. I've got 3 species in a 55 gallon tank right now, 2 Kenyi, 4 Electric Yellow, and 2 Yellow Tail Acei. I plan on upgrading to a 75 or larger, but anyways, to get to the point.

I've had these fish for about 4 months, and the Kenyi are getting huge! I was wondering if I could get help sexing these two. One is almost 3 inches, and has almost no bars and is a lightish grey-blue, so I thought he would be a male because he almost has a yellowish-goldish tint to him. But I thought they went through the color morph at around 2 inches. The other I'm pretty sure is female, shes about 2 1/2 inches, and shes got the classic blue barring and light blue color.

Thanks for any help!
Welcome to the boards.

It sounds like a young male changing - pictures always help a lot.

I am not sure you how much you know about the Kenyi. So please be aware.

Kenyi are challenging for anyone, esp. in a 4ft tank. If you search these boards you will find people with success with them long term will have a single male with 7+ females to spread the aggression. The aggression usually starts at 6-8 months so I would keep a close eye on 'him' and have a plan in the back of your mind if he does go off and become hyper-aggressive.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thats what I thought. And regarding the Kenyi, I've done research on them, and the 55 is sorta of a grow out tank until I can get a larger tank, thinking 75-100. Any recommendations of tankmates?

Also, I like the Blue Dolphin cichlids, but I know they are more peaceful, would it be a terrible idea to keep them with Kenyi?

When I get my larger tank, I plan on upgrading the numbers of each of my cichlids, including the Kenyi

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yeah, probably not a good idea to add the dolphins with them. Probably a really bad idea, actually.

I've seen people suggest keeping some of the more aggressive Melanochromis species with Kenyi, but I think that even in a 5-6' tank, you're going to have trouble keeping more than 2-3 species in the long run, if one is Kenyi.

·
Administrator
41,652 Posts
Will you have the 75G in a month or so? If the kenyi is starting to turn you want the 7 females and 75G tank as soon as possible.

Given kenyi will be one of your species in the 75G...I'd stick to 3 species. The stocking could look like this:
1m:7f kenyi
6 labs
6 acei

A 100G tank is typically still 48" so it does not buy you the ability to stock more fish than the 75G. Some say when choosing an aggressive species like kenyi three species in a 72" tank is the minimum.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, what is the smallest tank size that is usually 6'? I know 125's are, so I will prolly get that soon. I'm planning on getting the 75 as soon as possible, once I have the money. Maybe a month, two tops.

If I went with a 125, what other species would be good with the Kenyi? Rusties maybe? Anything else.

Hope everyone had a great holiday :D

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
mattawan_cichlid said:
Well, what is the smallest tank size that is usually 6'? I know 125's are, so I will prolly get that soon. I'm planning on getting the 75 as soon as possible, once I have the money. Maybe a month, two tops.

If I went with a 125, what other species would be good with the Kenyi? Rusties maybe? Anything else.

Hope everyone had a great holiday :D
If you are set on keeping Kenyi - suitable tank mates would be other hyper-aggressive species like Melanochromis auratus and Pseudotropheus elongatus. I would not try more than 3 species and keep the female counts very high.

Rusties would not be a real good choice.

If you kept your Yellow labs and acei instead you could add 3 more species to those in a 125.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Wish I was near ya.. I'm keeping some Kenyi now. I ended up with a late changer, 3" - turned from purple/blue to yellow. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.