Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I just restarted my fish tank about 7 weeks ago and yesterday I went down to feed my kenyi and when she went to get the food hundreds of fry escaped from her mouth.

I could be wrong but it literally looked like there may have been 500+ fry is that possible?

Anyway I caught about 50 and have them separated from the big tank some are still alive in the main tank, but it seems as if the majority have been eaten.

What can I do to help the ones that i caught survive? What should I feed them and how long until they actually resemble kenyi's?

Thanks

·
Registered
843 Posts
They should look like kenyis right away. If they're free swimming--should have stripes (though they might be light).

I don't know about 500...it might look like a lot because they're so small. Mine have never held more than like 30, but I've heard of larger holds. I also allow my mother to spit naturally, if that makes a difference.

Spawners can have more (I think) because the eggs don't have to fit in the mother's mouth--could be wrong about that, but my Cons easily hatch about 80, though 80 never survive (thank god--they have a new catch every month!).

For food, I allow algae to grow a bit. They eat that first (as long as there's no egg sack to eat). I start with flake since it's easier to crush, but you can do pellets. Both should be crushed up finely. You can put the food in a syringe with some water; this way, the fish learn that the "swoosh" equals food. You can also stir it in with a finger or something, just to teach them when food has arrived. You don't have to do that, but I like to. It gets their attention.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.