Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mostly Kenyis in my tank, but I'm curious about one in particular. It's about 2-2.5" coloration of a female kenyi but has the notable yellow egg spot on the anal fin. So I'm wondering, is this one actually a male that hasn't changed colors yet or is there something that looks like a female kenyi but is actually a male?

Will attempt to post a picture in the morning.

·
Registered
449 Posts
All 3 of my female Kenyi have egg spots, but, a less dominant male may not color up as a way of protecting itself from a very aggressive dominant male. Then again, female Kenyi can take on a yellow color if there is no dominant male present.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're saying that it may not even be a hybrid? This is great news! Still trying to get a picture of it.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
A 2" to 2.5" Kenyi is not quite mature yet and could easily be male. Do you know how many male Kenyi you already know about in the tank?

Eggspots are not as simple as eggspot = male, no eggspot = female. Males do have more impressive eggspots, as you can usually pick out the most dominant male mbuna in a group by the best eggspot(s).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.