Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
120 gal tropheus tank with white sand. What's the easiest way to keep the sand white? I do water changes weekly and try to mix up the sand but usually a day later it seems all the sand on the top is brown again. I've got a BN pleco to help with the glass but wondered about the sand.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've had the same problem in the past. The best two words of advice I can give you is to decrease the amount of time your lights are on and make sure your bulbs are newer (no older than 9 months).

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
slimbolen99 said:
I've had the same problem in the past. The best two words of advice I can give you is to decrease the amount of time your lights are on and make sure your bulbs are newer (no older than 9 months).
why do newer bulbs help?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just recently put new bulbs in. Like the lights on because its in a room where I like to watch them. Also like the tank bright. Was hoping to hear of suitable tankmate that might like cleaning sand???? :-?

·
Registered
376 Posts
sorry but times past by white sand will not be white anymore ...thats why alot of people now rather use play sand then white quartz PFS

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I gave up on white sand. All my tanks now have a mixture of white and black. You can control the mixture ratio, for the overall darkness. I also threw in a litttle crushed coral for contrast. You can't see the littl poos this way,either.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Sand for me is nothing. It's easy to clean because the pooh doesn't get mixed in and it's a nice natural white.
I must admit with the breeding i have i do leave light off a little to decrease aggresion but i think if you add a few pleco's,algae will be under control. I have never had a problem with sand changing colour. Maybe keep your nitrates down more which means more water changes

·
Registered
242 Posts
I use white silicia sand it pretty much stays white I also added some small accent black river pebbles they make it look a lot whiter because of the opposite of colors. When you do water changes you just have to vaccum up little bit off the top waste stays on top.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will try some smaller more frequent water changes and as well I always seem to vacuum some off the top. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts