Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CrimsonHelkite said:
It's possible, I would only keep like 16 in a 55, if you could get ahold of at least a 75 it would be better. :D
WOW that much...Cool. Is any type of Tropheus good? Any preference?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes 15-17 tropheus would be ok for a 55gal. Just make sure you have some hiding places in there for the ones that get picked on. They will definitely breed in a tank that size, I've got that many in a 60gal and they breed on a regular basis. I personally like Ilangi, ikola kaiser, green murago, moliro red, and nkonde yellow. If you are just starting off then duboisi are the easiest to care for.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I going to get a group of them, but I am able to get like 4 at a time but I am getting it from the same breeder. It's literally same batch will be same size but I am just short of cash. Can I do that? or does it have to be a complete group at the time?

Adults btw

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Save your money, until you can afford to buy them as a group. Buying four at a time is a recipe for aggression issues, likely leading to deaths. You could also save money by purchasing juveniles, which are typically cheaper.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As most people have already said, multiple adds of small quantities of tropheus is a disaster. I know it is overboard, but I am an advocate of getting the whole colony setup once and leave it alone size wise. Just like food, don't change anything.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think you are taking a big risk with such a small tank.

I would advise on a larger tank for these guys and agree with everyone that you want to purchase your colony and introduce them as a whole. This can still come from various sources but remember that tropheus vary geographically and each population tends to be unique and forms a type.

I would avoid the possibility of hybridizing across types so try to avoid that situation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts