Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any Lake Malawi peacocks or haps that won't show much aggression towards males of the same species (or towards look alikes)?

I've been doing a lot of research on this topic and so far I haven't found much.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
41,982 Posts
What about a mixed gender tank with a single species of timid peacocks like Aulonocara kandeense? Keep them in a species tank...I hear multiple males are tolerated and can color up as well.

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
You can keep schooling species, and really most of these in groups. The problem is you need room and numbers to keep the group, you would want more than 3 males. And you will still end up with one male showing alpha color and each male beneath will show some degree of less color. In smaller tanks, you really would need to keep it too crowded than one would want, would be less ideal and kinda boring.

Really, it's all about pecking order with all of these fish. You always have an alpha and a beta. By mixing up with different species, you can try to get a few different males to color up and reduce direct competition. In larger tanks, hobbyists don't really want to waste the space on just one species, more fun to mix them up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sometimes peacocks will tolerate other males if there are a lot of females( single species tank like DJRansome said) . But you would need a large tank and several males not just two. However for this to work they would have to grow up together as a group of juveniles. This is risky though as you could get a hyper dominate male that will kill the other males when he hits maturity. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.