Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adding some new peacocks to my tank this weekend and wanted to check the possible compatibility of two. I already own what seems to be a cross breed local fish shop yellow maleri, or at least that is what you guys have identified it as (pic posted).

malingering with a few others I am collecting a Alunacara stuartgranti beanshi benga..also picture attached. I know the rule is try not to keep two that are similar but as these are different types of peacocks Will they be ok? Or would I be better getting something totally different.

thanks
Water Underwater Fin Koi Fish
Fin Water Organism Underwater Yellow

·
Registered
28 Posts
general rule would be not to keep 2 that look that similar. With that said it all depends on your tank size and other tankmates as well. I have done well with similar looking fish as long as the numbers are right and the tank size is appropriate. If you are stocking this in a 6ft + tank you probably have a better chance. I have seen it done in a 4ft tank numerous times as well with success, however I would be ready to rehome the fish or have another tank set up in case it does not work out.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My tank is 5 x 2 x 2 total fish would be 25 with these next 4 added. Mostly peacocks and some haps

·
Registered
28 Posts
Many would say no, but in my opinion if you have the ability to keep an eye on it and rehome if needed, it is worth a shot. I found that each tank with a different number of fish over the years gets a good balance. That is always going to be the variable, just make sure you have good filtration.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Worth a shot perhaps, but since they look alike (pretty much any yellow peacock looks similar to other yellow peacocks) I would expect a fail here. How willing are you to tear down the tank and net the fish and rehome it? Most people ask because they would prefer to avoid this.

There is one yellow combo I have found that worked for me...maleri and usisya.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mmm I’m thinking of now getting a turkis which would be a new totally different colour. Thing is the peacock in my tank I’m not sure what it is really, think it’s a hybrid between a maleri/baenshi and the fish I would get is 100% stuartgranti bengha. To be honest I don’t want a fail and I have two yellow labs already so the yellow colour is covered. I’m thinking either the turkis or even something totally different…the place I’m going to have some Taiwan reefs so maybe one of them. Slightly away from the original topic….do you find the Taiwan reefs colour up ok in all male tanks? They are such a beautiful fish. The turkis would be a safe bet though, new colour albeit not bright like the benga and another alunacara rather than a hap. Which is better for my tank as it’s a 5x2x2

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
It is not a species thing...within the aulonocara it is appearance. Turkis is different, maleri and benga and baenschi are look alikes. Another yellow that did not work in my tank with maleri was blue neon.

My taiwan reef colored well but I had to remove him because he intimidated my more timid haps which I was featuring.

The problem with collecting unknown species is that it makes it hard to know if they fish are closely related...you can only go by main color which is usually most effective in any case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts