Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been keeping red zebras for years now and I get them with a nice dark orange color and in a few months they've turned a yellow orange. I'm sure it's the food and I've tried at least ten different foods. Any ideas as to what foods help keep their color? :-?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
The males turn a peach color when they mature, but the females should stay bright orange.

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
If nice orange when bought, they reportedly may have been kept outside in a pond or have been fed food with a lot of shrimp in it.

This is one case in which it may actually be the food (it's usually not the problem). Of course food companies will make claims.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Well the orange blur in the background of my avatar is an estherae that is several years old having been fed New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula FWIW. No yellow there.

·
Registered
843 Posts
My male red zebra didn't get as "pink" or "peach" as I've seen others get. But he was more yellowish orange, and not nearly as neon orange as my female (who's closer to actual red).

How big are they? Have you vented them? It's possible, if they're males, they were darker when they were younger, and are now lightening as they age.

·
Registered
554 Posts
could be stress. Tank size? Tank mates?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts