Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I guess that depends on your definition of successfully. I currently have 2 tanks set up each with mbuna and one common pleco. Both plecos have been alive and cleaning the tanks for over a year however they both have had their eyes plucked out and I assume eaten. Other than that they seem healthy. I have had plecos in cichlid tanks in the past with no visible issues. Pun intended.

·
Registered
108 Posts
NewkeeperRico said:
They both don't have their eyes!? That sucks!
That is correct. Two separate tanks each with one eyeless pleco. But honestly they have both been this way for a long time and seem to function just fine. That being said after it happened the second time I decided to go with syndos instead of plecos as it seems cruel to have their eyes removed.

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
Bristlenose seem to be the plecos that most often succeed with African Rift Lake cichlids. I have one/two in every tank and all have their eyes.

The highest risk for them is when the tank is first stocked.

Some of the more fancy plecos are better in a tank designed for them. Many plecos get too large (common pleco for example) for the common sized aquariums so select your species carefully.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have two mbuna tanks that both contain PS Saulosi, Perlmutts, and Rustys. The mbuna were stocked as juveniles with a bristlenose pleco in each tank. Six months in and zero issues or problems with the mbuna attacking/harming/mutilating the plecos.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have two common plecos in my 75g (Hypostomus Plecostomus) and they are constantly getting barked and bitten at but they both have their eyes! To make matters worse (for one of them), one is much larger and harasses the other. Neither seems worse for the wear though. They are either tough, or oblivious.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The Morning said:
Other than that they seem healthy. I have had plecos in cichlid tanks in the past with no visible issues. Pun intended.
Nice. =D>

·
Registered
165 Posts
DJRansome said:
Many plecos get too large (common pleco for example) for the common sized aquariums so select your species carefully.
Yes, I didn't realize when I bought them that they can grow up to 18 inches in length. Not sure what I'll even do when that happens!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts