Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am back to frontosas after an absence of about three years. These are wild caught Kapampas (2F, 1M) in a 6 foot, 135 gallon tank. I hope to get another female. The male is pretty much 12 inches.
I like the basic look of the tank but am looking at suggestions for the rock arrangements.
Are they good where they are? Should they all be at one end?
Do I have have too many or too few?
Should I scrap the small ones in the middle?
Should the one at the far right be on its side instead of vertical?
I don't want to do piping or pots, just rocks.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Nice looking fronts! Nice looking rocks too. The thing is, I like to do caves, but that is difficult to do with the rocks you have. Larger, flatter rocks are better suited for that purpose. Maybe some more experienced folks can chime in if caves are necessary for fronts or just nice to have.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For me..... I would not stack the rocks and would probably lay them flat then have a look at it. I love the fact that you have a simple tank without a lot of stuff in it. That is the look I am going for in my new tanks.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do like simple, especially for potential breeding tanks. I want to create as much space as possible. I thought about maybe taking the left, two stacked rocks and putting them side by side and making a cave, but it would mean using a piece of slate for the roof and I was worried about its sharp edges/corners.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I would worry a bit about the sharp edges of the rocks you do have but I really like how simple and clean your tank looks. More rounded rocks might be a safer choice.

BTW it's amazing how your fronts make a 6 foot tank look small! Beautiful fish!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Charles said:
I like to use stand alone blouder. If I were you, I will put the two big at 1/3 and 2/3 area of the tank so it creates two break of line-of-sight.

That male makes your tank looks small :)
Thank you all for all the helpful hints. Yes, that male at a foot long does take up 1/6 of the length all by himself. That's why I don't want to go all crazy with too much rock.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'd put a single cave behind the rock pile at the left.

I prefer rounder river rock.
frontosa when startled will slam into everything, less chance of injury if the rock is rounder, than if has edges.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made a bit of a cave on the left side and did add another female so I have 3F, 1M which is nicer. I may still gradually tweak the aquascape but will move in slow steps and see how fish behavior changes as I do it. Here is how it looks this week.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nice Fronts, the fish make the tank look like a 55G :eek:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I like the first pic more, the second seems more manufactured.

what i would do is get a PVC pipe, or flowerpot for a cave, and put it in that left corner, then find rocks to hide it from view.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts