Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im setting up my first mbuna tank and have just collected a second hand rio 300. (4ft)

Tank and stand are on good condition but the internal filter is broken, i wasn't planning on using it anyway and have removed the ugly big box!

I'm looking at an external canister and would have gone for the fluval fx5 but it is too big to fit into the stand. The tank is around 75g, i want a decent flow rate and a plenty of media space. Any suggestions, anyone had experience of Eheim 2217 and is it big enough? This would fit in my stand!?

Would supplementing a big canister with powerheads be enough filtration for a tank this size? I'm not planning on being silly with overstocking etc..

Lighting - The standard 2 x T8 unit that came with the tank works fine, are T8s good for Mbuna or is it worth upgrading to a T5 unit in the future? opinions welcomed. (No real plants going in)

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
I am using a 2217 as the only filter on my 75G tank and couldn't be happier. Last year the tank had a breeding colony of L. caeruleus, and a breeding colony of M. lanistacola. With both species breeding like the proverbial rabbits, stocking levels got a bit out of hand at times, but the 2217 kept up well. I use filter floss as the only medium, and I use an Eheim diffuser as outlet instead of the spray bar.

The advantage of T5 over T8 is marginal. If you have a good T8 fixture, you might as well use that until one day the price of LED lighting comes down, and we'll all upgrade to that :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have a rena XP3 and its great.
theres loads of media in there (floss, foam, bioballs, ceramic rings) and the turn over is plenty fast enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, i've gone down the ehiem route, should be delivered tomorrow! Maybe a powerhead or 2 if i need a little more flow behind the rock wall.

Will stick with the T8s then, maybe some new tubes.....

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You can not go wrong with the Eheim classic 2217.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone any suggestions about Juwel lighting combinations for Mbuna?

I was thinking maybe 1 daylight tube and 1 actinic blue? Moonlighting can come later.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used to have a Jewel Rio 400 and started off with the two full spectrum daylight tubes and then switched to an overtank luminaire with T5's. Im not sure what option these offer now but if you can get a combo where you can have two super bright daylights and two actinics then that looks great - in an ideal world i would have had the two daylights on in the day with one/two daylight and one actinic at sunset then two actinics until lights out. You might have to do some adaptation to achieve that, controlling individual lights in a unit sometimes poses problems but its worth it - I did it with my other 400l (i had two sets of two lights on separate controllers) and you get great results - good luck with it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts