Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
bbroom89 said:
Thanks Sir,

I have seen concrete paving slabs (Which is what the ones i can quickly get although they look limestoney) Are not a great idea to use, is this a common consensus?
You never know what's in them. And from an aesthetic standpoint, I think they look ugly. You certainly can't make them look like a rocky biotope in the lake, as shown below-

tanganyika_dive_005.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That is a very fair point, interestingly yours isn't as high Sir, no issues with the slightly less tall combination of rocks?

·
Registered
505 Posts
bbroom89 said:
That is a very fair point, interestingly yours isn't as high Sir, no issues with the slightly less tall combination of rocks?
I think you can get carried away with the rockwork for these fishes. That's a 40-gallon Long tank for the ornatus; I don't want 10 gallons of the volume to be rocks. And the ornatus seem to be happy, so... :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
sir_keith said:
bbroom89 said:
I think you can get carried away with the rockwork for these fishes. That's a 40-gallon Long tank for the ornatus; I don't want 10 gallons of the volume to be rocks. And the ornatus seem to be happy, so... :)
That is the main thing just having happy healthy fishies! Will have a look at what I can get.

·
Registered
505 Posts
bbroom89 said:
...That is the main thing just having happy healthy fishies! Will have a look at what I can get...
I used to live in New England, shale and granite shards everywhere, so that's what I used in my tanks. After a while I switched over to 'river rocks' because I thought they looked more natural. That's what I use exclusively now, not least because I have a few tons of these in the landscaping around my property. There are some amazing 'rocky shore biotope' tanks that you can find online, like this one (not mine) at http://biotope-aquarium.info/aquari...allow-rocky-shores-of-ikola-tanzania-487-l/#- It's so realistic they even used slightly turbid water! :thumb:

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 10.14.05 AM.png

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Noting, Julidochromis are cave fish, that live in deep caves... not in an intermediate area, with small round rocks. Mostly an open area, with a few round rocks, aren't particularly natural for these fish... then again, neither is an aquarium.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Fogelhund said:
Noting, Julidochromis are cave fish, that live in deep caves... not in an intermediate area, with small round rocks. Mostly an open area, with a few round rocks, aren't particularly natural for these fish... then again, neither is an aquarium.
That is very true haha!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So we are looking good for fish this week, tank stats are good and shells will be here at some point. As long as i can get them cleaned and boiled the fish will come later in the week.

I seemingly have 2 options Brevis and Similis. I am leaning more to the Brevis i believe and looking to pick up 6 which should give me a good chance of a decent ratio of m/f.

·
Super Moderator
40,516 Posts
The brevis are more of a pairing fish and the similis are more prone to form a colony where all six have a good chance of remaining in your tank for their lifetimes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That makes it harder DJ! I was hoping for more a colony situation. Would 6 be enough for the Similis then?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts