Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got some mobas last week. They're 1 inch and bigger. did a water change 4 days ago, then notice some flashing. several of them seem to be breathing faster than others. They all eat like pigs. No white spots on their bodies. Do frontosa juvies at 1 inch appear to breath fast, compared to other cichlids? What could cause fish to flash 4 days after a water change? Checked my parameters. pH 8, nitrites none, nitrates 20. Seems to be more flashing after I feed. Is there a slight ammonia spike due to the feeding?

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
I don't think you would experience an ammonia spike just by feeding, but I have no other suggestions to offer either. I first thought maybe chlorine from the water change, but that should be long gone after 4 days! Nitrate 20ppm is a little higher than I would like to see for fronts that small, but not really alarming, and should not cause the symptoms you are seeing :?

Any news? How are they doing now?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the concern fmueller. I think I figured it out. I did another water change but this time used my home made sodium thiosulfate stock solution instead of the older store bought dechlor. No more flashing, which must have been due to a chlorine in the tank. But very odd that they would be flashing more than 48 hrs after a water change.

I love the mobas. They each have their own personality. One has the strategy of hovering off to the side to pick up any floating scraps that gets by the main group. I've been trying to directionally feed one who is shy and breathes the fastest. The end result is that all of them eat, and they are getting real fat. The shy one eats one pellet then runs. It started to have a concave belly, so I netted it last night and put it in the sump. Gonna try personal one-on-one feedings to try and fatten it up.

It does seem at one inch that the mobas tend to be fast breathers. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they're in a 125 gallon with an overflow system that drains into a 60 gallon sump set up. I'm pretty sure the dissolved O2 is high. I caught it spitting out food, and placed it into a quarintine tank. I feed metro soaked food, which it ate. I then later tried the food without pre-soaking, and it spit it out. I think the fish is not sick, but unable to handle hard pellets. Funny thing is it's sibling which are the same size devour the pellets, which are NLS grow. I'll try pre-soaking the NLS grow again, and try and fatten it up before returning it to the 125 gallon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts