Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i am fairly new to the cichlid side of the hobby and was after some help (if even possible). A friend gave me some fry from fish he couldn't properly identify, but believed the female may have been a red zebra (from my own memory it was orange) and the male some type of red top (i remember it being black/striped and would glow purple/yellow occasionally). He no longer has the fish and am unable to find any photos. So, just by looking is anyone able to add anything? The orange-er looking ones have very faint stripes as well and note they are definitely from the same batch. Thank you

WP_20180518_13_08_44_Pro.jpg
WP_20180518_12_25_12_Pro (2).jpg
WP_20180518_12_22_42_Pro (2).jpg
WP_20180518_12_11_08_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
9,126 Posts
These fish may be hybrid mixes and are not really "anything" except how you value them as novelties. Pic 1 and 4 resemble types of "Zebra" but may be hybrids

...but the fish in pic 2 and 3 resemble Saulosi so look those up for comparison. Good Saulosi start out attractive yellow-kinda orange as juveniles, then males turn blue with black bars while females stay yellow.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
noki said:
These fish may be hybrid mixes and are not really "anything" except how you value them as novelties. Pic 1 and 4 resemble types of "Zebra" but may be hybrids

...but the fish in pic 2 and 3 resemble Saulosi so look those up for comparison. Good Saulosi start out attractive yellow-kinda orange as juveniles, then males turn blue with black bars while females stay yellow.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1
Thanks for your reply. Kind of figured this would be the case. In terms of breeding will it just be random in terms of results and better to start fresh with a more pure species and go from there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For any lurkers or anyone else interested, turns out the father was Ps. Elongatus Mphanga and the mother M. Estherae. Was never any Mphanga females in the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts