Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished unboxing an order of fish, and what was supposed to be 6 x 1" baby O. heterospila actually is 5 baby heterospila and one...I don't know. Clearly an eartheather of some kind, and not a Geophagus. My first thought was Satanoperca when I saw it in the bag, but after looking at it now I'm leaning towards maybe a Gymnogeophagus? I only have limited Satanoperca experience (S. daemon, many years ago and not this small) and have never kept any Gymnos myself, just know the look. Anyone know what this little guy/gal may be?

https://flic.kr/p/2nCbuu3
https://flic.kr/p/2nCcSe1

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally! Someone who is as excited about them as I am!!! They're so rare that I honestly had never even heard of them until the beginning of this year, when I happened to notice them on the stock list of my usual supplier - but they were out of stock. I was curious about this cichlid species I had never even heard of - that's pretty rare, all right lol - and fell in LOVE with the few photos I was able to find. I have literally been nagging at him about getting them back in stock since I found them listed in January...last week he finally sent me a message that he was FINALLY able to get them in and I immediately ordered a group. I'm beyond stoked about these guys.

Currently no fenestratus in the building though...sold them off a while ago when I imported the red texas juvies. The ones I ended up with had almost no marbling at all and were basically solid white, which was a real let down from what I was hoping to get. He still has them in stock, so the next time I'm physically IN the store to select out my individual fish and can choose their markings myself, I'll definitely pick some more up and start again.

The plan now is to get a pair of the monte cristos to form out of this little group of babies, and then they'll get the 8ft tank instead of the fenestratus.

Reactions: Deeda and Auballagh

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. He can stay for now but will be finding a new home eventually...would be nice to be able to say what he is lol.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Long time, no see!

I wish I could be more help, but my eartheater ID skills have atrophied quite a bit. Cool new fish, though!
Hey stranger! Nice to see you still lurking around too :)

Yes, at the moment I'm thinking steindachneri, but will let it grow out some to confirm before rehoming. This guy was not part of my plan lol.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One person threw out a suggestion (steindachneri) but I'm hardly taking that as a solid ID. It's a possible, maybe even probable suggestion, but it needs to grow out some more to be sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts