Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Trying to get a cichlid tank going. Initially the thought was Malawis, and so my friendly local (best in a 60 km radius) petshop advised on some starter fishies.

I have a pair of these guys, the best description I can give is that they are a light brownish colour with a blueish tinge and a more obvious blue edge to their dorsal and double pelvic fins.

They have yellowish irises and a single black spot just behind the gills with slight iridescent blue mottling.

They are juveniles, the shop owner said they become black with blue horisontal stripes, apparently they are Melanochromis johanni, and will do alright in a mixed cichlid tank with enough space.

Well, I looked around a bit on the internet when I got home to see some adult pics (all excited), and now I seriously doubt that the species is correct. Can anyone help me identify them? I'm starting to wonder whether they are Malawis at all.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Closest I could find is this guy:

Five-bar cichlid, neolamprologus tretocephalus, juvenile. Found the image on google.

I know my photo was bad, I can't get them to 'sit still'.

Is this likely? Anything else that looks like this?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks so much!

I googled it and yep, mine looks a lot like the females, although with that egg spot I hope it goes a bit lighter. I'll get it a harem soon.

happy that it is, after all, a Malawian :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm updating to show what a difference it can make to read the forum thread on taking good photos with a digital camera. See my beautiful Cobalt Blue Zebra, 4cm big :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Silly Americans :p
It's about an inch big. Maybe a bit more. Isn't it a wonderful blue? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts