Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With juvenile African Cichlids (in my case 1.5" deep water haps) could I identify males/female with any confidence going by their behavior? They are not spawning yet, but there are basically two behaviors I've observed.

2/3 of the fish show extra barring some of the time, have the typical black markings showing and are more aggressive and picking fights occasionally. They have torn fins sometimes after fighting.
1/3 have no barring, and are almost completely silver colored. These get chased a lot, but they don't seem to have any trouble with torn fins.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
You can make guesses, and the most dominant alpha and beta juveniles may be more likely male, and the least dominant or two may be female. But this is largely pecking order behavior and you don't really know the sex ratio. If you had 6 fish and all were male or all were female, they still would show some sort of pecking order behavior, with some fish being more dominant than the others.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I will be patient :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.