Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 17 days of holding we decided to go ahead and strip the Ruben Red Peacock we had holding today. They still have egg sacs on them so I whipped up a tumbler real fast out the vacuum end tube of the water changer I had laying around here with a media bag over the bottom as a "screen". They seem to be wiggling around a little even with sacs on them. This was more of a practice run since I am more worried about the fry from my Dem's.

How much "tumbling" do the fry need in the tumbler? How much movement do they need in there? And how long til the egg sacs are used up and they can go into the breeder net and be fed the Hikari First Bites or Frozen Baby Brine shrimp I have?

Also.... WOW they are some tiny little guys. :p

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know not the best photo, as my skills need much improvement but here they are in the tumbler.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Congrats on your first time stripping eggs!!
Here's a good vid showing a tumbler in action. Nothing too violent, just a gentle rolling is sufficient.
You can expect the egg sacs to remain for the next 5-10 days, difficult to nail down a length of time.
When feeding, keep in mind that they sometimes need to learn what they're doing, and know that their stomachs are about the same size as their eyes.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is my make shift tumbler I whipped up in about 30 seconds. Got many spectators just waiting for a straggler to pop out and make it a quick snack. Wish I had another tank and some room to put it just for these kinds of situations.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Another 5-7 days and you'd have fry.

Good job on the tumbler - however, it's entirely possibly the sacks will get sucked through the netting (harder when it's an actual fish).

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glaneon said:
Another 5-7 days and you'd have fry.

Good job on the tumbler - however, it's entirely possibly the sacks will get sucked through the netting (harder when it's an actual fish).
Do you mean they will get sucked through the net by other fish in the tank? If so that is why I put that gravel cleaning end on it so it would create a buffer zone of about an inch between the other fish and the fry.

If that is not what you meant but just that they can sucked through some other way please let me know so I can try and figure something out to prevent this. Thanks

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Ahh, I see now.

No, you got it covered. That's genius!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts