Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

I ended up ordering my Dems from a TX breeder. I had them shipped overnight to my office, and they're currently hanging out under the desk :D He added an extra, so there are 13 in all, and they're about 1.25-1.5" long. He said that they should be fine if I just toss them in the main tank, but I noticed that they look pretty beat up with nipped fins and all. This isn't too surprising, as he said that they were already breeding. I am thinking about quarantining them in my 20G tank and treating them with melafix for a few days, but I'm worried that they might rip each other apart in a tank that small. Thoughts?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'd be worried about putting them in a tank that small too. The nipped fins will heal without melafix as long as the tank is clean & water quality is good.(not implying that yours isn't) I'm just saying they'd be better off in a bigger(main) tank with good water quality. In a 20g the fin nipping would probably continue. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah,13 1.5'' demasoni in a 20g is looking for trouble,the stress could lead to bloat.What size is the main tank and what's in it.?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
110G Tall (48x19x30")

13- Demasoni - Sub adult
13- Albino Socolofi Juvies
8- L Caeruleus Electric Yellow -Adult/Sub adult
5 - Yellow Tail Acei - Sub adult
1- Pink Peacock "Dragons Blood" 4-1/2"

I have tons of rockwork and good water parameters, so I think they'll be alright. I didn't get many respsonses to the question, so I put them in the main tank last night. Everything seems to be good at this point, but I'm keeping a close eye on them. I hate to add fish to the main tank without quarantine, but I got them from a good breeder who is a site sponsor, and it's working well at this point. My problems with bloat and iche have always originated from fish I have obtained at the LFS. I think that good breeders tend to take a little better care of thier stock. The LFS will through whatever your bring them in whatever tank and give you $5 store credit. This is a great way to spread disease IMO.

·
Registered
105 Posts
sweet dude! i'm sure they are going to look great in there!! i would just put the demasoni in your main tank since you don't have 13 spare 10g's sitting around. The demasoni probably cost more than all the fish in that tank currently so it's worth the risk IMO.

BTW thanks for the little cobue bro! =)

Also I was going to get me some Demasoni, Do you mind me asking how much you paid? I got a guy in mansfield that can give me 20 for $100. Trying to find the best deal.

PS: I can't get anyone to reply to my threads on this site either

·
Registered
12 Posts
If your main tank doesn't have other aggressive mbuna you should be ok. If you put them in and if they start feeding your fine. I would do weekly 10 to 20% water changes. I have those little beautiful fish, they hold there own, my dominant male chases my 8'' d.compressiceps around and tries to fight my 6'' livingstonii, but is always fighting over territory with my polits and flavus.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I got 35 fish from texas just yesterday (probably same guy). Fins are pretty beat up but I'd probably eat some fins too if I was cramped in a small bag with 7 other occupants. The sign they are healthy? All of them are eating bigtime. These guys have begging down to a science. Every single fish crowds the corner of the tank nearest my desk whenever I stand up :D

I started my tank from scratch and just dumped them all in. In your situation, given they are Demasoni and the logistics of trying to quarantine 13 of them... I'd just put them in the main tank.

Enjoy your new fish!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flapjack
$100 bucks for 20 is a great deal. I paid $9/each plus about $10 bucks for ground shipping. I saw a CL add in Mckinney asking $10/each for 14 adult fish, but I never got a reply and finally just ordered them online.

I haven't had much trouble getting replies to my posts, but the question was kinda stupid cause I knew the correct answer was to put them in a 40 or 55G quarantine tank, which I don't have. You're welcome for the Cobue; I'm always glad to help a fellow hobbyist out.

Shane Wellito
Thanks,
I did a 40% W/C last night, and I'm keeping the nitrates under 10PPM, PH at 8.2, KH and GH at 11 and temp at 79.

dotbomb
They are eating well. Most of them rushed to the top the first time they were fed, and all of them had caught on by the second feeding. A few look a little more beat up than the others, but they are all spending time exploring the new tank rather than fighting. I may have to grab some out and treat them with Melafix, but I'm hoping good water parameters will help thier fins heal for now.

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.