Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, over the past several months I have spent periodically reading this wonderful forum and working on getting my first cichlid tank going. As I believe I am FINALLY ready to add fish I just wanted to run a couple things by you guys.

- My nitrites and ammonia finally spiked last week and a couple days ago i was getting 0 readings on both ammonia and nitrites. In addition I had a high level of nitrates in the tank.
- However the past 2 days my ammonia level has been creeping back up to about 2ppm? Can anyone enlighten me here? My nitrites are still @ 0 while nitrates are high, but just the ammonia is high.

Sorry for the noob question and I have read over the cycling articles numerous times, but I dont know what to do.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If your cycle is complete your ammonia should be gone 24hrs after adding any and converted into nitrate.

Are you still adding ammonia to the tank? If so how much and how often?

Did you add food or something in there to create the ammonia and is built up decaying in there or something?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Na no food, just straight ammonia. I will check it again in the morning I guess :) . It was just weird I got detected the last 2 mornings when it had not.

Thanks for the reply .

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Did you clean the filter or make any other changes?

When you say ammonia 'creeped back up', does that mean it's still high 24 hours after adding another dose? Are you still dosing because fish haven't beeen added yet? More info on exactly where you are with dosing/stocking would be helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
prov356 said:
Did you clean the filter or make any other changes?

When you say ammonia 'creeped back up', does that mean it's still high 24 hours after adding another dose? Are you still dosing because fish haven't beeen added yet? More info on exactly where you are with dosing/stocking would be helpful.
Exactly I kept adding ammonia because I had not yet added fish. I did a 50 percent water change and all seems to be well :) Ill post pictures soon.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I'm not sure I quite understand your situation but it doesn't sound like your tank is cycled. Your ammonia level needs to drop back to zero within 24 hours without a water change for it to be cycled. You also should have a zero reading on your nitrites 24 hours after adding the ammonia.

Assuming your ammonia and nitrites are at zero now after the water change, I would add 1 ppm of ammonia and retest 24 hours later to make sure it really is okay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts