Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He seemed fine but this morning was belly up. The rest of the tank seems fine, except maybe the rusties, they have a little white on their lips, not sure what that's about.

The Pleco was just a couple months old. My water is good, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 8.2 PH, 40 nitrate before each 50% water change. He died the day after a 50% water change.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
The white on their lips is from fighting. Was the pleco's belly plump? Were you doing 50% water changes every week?

PS I would change it when it gets to 20ppm rather than waiting until it gets to 40ppm.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
The white on their lips is from fighting. Was the pleco's belly plump? Were you doing 50% water changes every week?

PS I would change it when it gets to 20ppm rather than waiting until it gets to 40ppm.
Yes, the rusties have been fighting with each other a bit.

I do 50% every week, you are saying more than once a week? Yikes.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
If you can't keep it under 20ppm go to a larger percent change. 75% is totally workable.

Was the pleco's belly plump?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
If you can't keep it under 20ppm go to a larger percent change. 75% is totally workable.

Was the pleco's belly plump?
I'll do the 75% moving forward.

The Pleco's belly wasn't plump, looked like a fine healthy fish to me.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Plump is what you look for...maybe he was having trouble getting enough to eat and eventually it impacted his health.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
Plump is what you look for...maybe he was having trouble getting enough to eat and eventually it impacted his health.
There was plenty of food on the glass for him, he had stopped cleaning it for me.

·
Registered
449 Posts
ironspider said:
DJRansome said:
There was plenty of food on the glass for him, he had stopped cleaning it for me.
If it was not eating it was likely being harassed by the other fish; may have passed due to stress.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts