Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So happy I finally got them. I even got extra sent I now have 27 demasoni and 11 yellowlabs none were dead either. They are between.75 and 1.5in and the demasoni already look amazing. They have really bad fins bt I'm guessing that would be due to agression because he yellow labs fins are fine.I also added my yellow lab fry into this tank they are pretty small still but big enough to not fit into anyone's mouth and the fish are stressed from shipping so i don't think the babies will get picked on. I'm sure most of you don't care but I'm so happy I just had to post they are cute little guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
What do you mean we dont care!!?? lol I love getting new fish, its like xmas morning when you were little all over again!

Congrats!! :thumb:

Once they get settled in lets see some pics of them. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
What do you mean we dont care!!?? lol I love getting new fish, its like xmas morning when you were little all over again!

Congrats!! :thumb:

Once they get settled in lets see some pics of them. :wink:
Haha thanks, yes it is I came home from school to see the box at my house I ran and got a knife to open the box like a little kid running to the tree lol. I'll post some pics when they fatten up and get some of their fins back. That's if my iPod touch can take a decent photo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stupid question but how long should it take for the fish to settle in and for their fins to grow back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
II25tolifeII said:
Stupid question but how long should it take for the fish to settle in and for their fins to grow back
Not stupid at all. Depends on how bad the damage is but the majority of fin damage repairs itself (assuming clean water conditions) in about a week.

Settling in takes a few days.

I'd probably nip a few fins if I was stuck in a plastic bag with 20+ other people too :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
II25tolifeII said:
Stupid question but how long should it take for the fish to settle in and for their fins to grow back
Yeah not stupid at all. Like dotbomb said it will generally heal by itself with clean water conditions. I usually add a little melafix to help prevent any infections, plus I like the way it smells. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dotbomb said:
II25tolifeII said:
Stupid question but how long should it take for the fish to settle in and for their fins to grow back
Not stupid at all. Depends on how bad the damage is but the majority of fin damage repairs itself (assuming clean water conditions) in about a week.

Settling in takes a few days.

I'd probably nip a few fins if I was stuck in a plastic bag with 20+ other people too :thumb:
They are pretty badly nipped. I find it funny that 3 demasonis don't have nipped fins and they came in 3 different bags. Also when demasoni get bigger do their bars get better looking because some of my demasoni have bars hat look a bit weird compared to the pictures of dems that I've seen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
II25tolifeII said:
Stupid question but how long should it take for the fish to settle in and for their fins to grow back
Yeah not stupid at all. Like dotbomb said it will generally heal by itself with clean water conditions. I usually add a little melafix to help prevent any infections, plus I like the way it smells. :wink:
Only thing I have for my tanks is prime Some stuff called african lake salt and some buffer would any of that help
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,501 Posts
If the fins are really chewed up it might take a month to grow back perfect. Clean water will be fine but you can add melafix. Salt is not helpful and should not be added unless you have pH and/or KH problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DJRansome said:
If the fins are really chewed up it might take a month to grow back perfect. Clean water will be fine but you can add melafix. Salt is not helpful and should not be added unless you have pH and/or KH problems.
K thanks can you answer my other question seems you know about demasoni so I'll just ask. Do the vertical bars get better with age some look weird on my fish.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,501 Posts
No the bars stay the same for life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GTZ said:
II25tolifeII said:
DJRansome said:
No the bars stay the same for life.
That's unfortunate one demasoni has a bar that is split on he one end
Looks are overrated, it doesn't necessarily reflect on the quality of the specimen in my opinion.
Ahh that makes sense because I got mine from Proley the best known cichlid supplier on this site.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,501 Posts
If you don't like the split bar, keep that fish separate from your breeding group. I would not mind the occasional odd bar either, but unfortunately if that becomes a heavy breeder you could end up with LOTs of them. If I am going to create more, I'd rather have the nicer bars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
DJRansome said:
keep that fish separate from your breeding group. I would not mind the occasional odd bar either, but unfortunately if that becomes a heavy breeder you could end up with LOTs of them. If I am going to create more, I'd rather have the nicer bars.
+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DJRansome said:
If you don't like the split bar, keep that fish separate from your breeding group. I would not mind the occasional odd bar either, but unfortunately if that becomes a heavy breeder you could end up with LOTs of them. If I am going to create more, I'd rather have the nicer bars.
I'll keep it I guess because it's one of the nicest ones I got(basically has more blue hen others) and it's hardly noticable that his bar is split I've also seen wc with some funky bars so I don't mind it as much. Just like bearding on labs I think if it is in a wild caught fish there shouldn't be a problem with it. Just my opion though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
I have 2 females in my colony with "imperfect" bars. I simply don't save any fry from them. It doesn't bother me to see it in my tank, but others are more picky. It's a little handy actually, to be able to tell one from another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AlphaWild said:
I have 2 females in my colony with "imperfect" bars. I simply don't save any fry from them. It doesn't bother me to see it in my tank, but others are more picky. It's a little handy actually, to be able to tell one from another.
Lol that's what I was thinking I was at school and just randomly started thinking about how I'm gonna be able to tell them apart
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top