Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I've been looking at some tank profiles on this and other sites, and really love the look of some tropheus. I really like the ones that are blueish black with one thick orange and yellow stripe, are there any other kinds that look like that? And would they be able to live together? If so what tank size and how many of each?

Would Tropheus be able to live with fronts?

Never even considered Tropheus before, so very new to the whole subject any help would be very much appreciated thanks! :fish:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Would Tropheus be able to live with fronts?

I have kept both but never at the same time in the same tank.
I'd think that the tropheus would be a little too active for frontosas.
Plus you need many tropheus in the tank so by time you add frontosas, that would be many many fish.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Also not ideal tankmates diet-wise. The animal protein question aside, getting enough food to the slower and larger fronts without overfeeding the Tropheus could be very problematic. I'd also have to think a full grown front (assuking they made it to that size) could and would eat Tropheus when they're 'asleep'.

Although no doubt someone somewhere has done it I'd say fronts and Tropheus should be pretty high on the 'do not mix' list.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Less pics of the less dramatic but possible nipping of Fronts fins by Troph.
Troph groups do best in 100g tanks in groups or at least 75g+.. Fronts best in 200g tanks in groups or bigger long term. Kind of a hard to pull off mix but saying that it has been done. Luck plus a lot of skill and I guess not posting all the failures. :wink:

For sure I would want success with both on their own before mixing em.
But yep breeding Fronts and Tropheus in the same tank has been done.
Bit like a dog walking on its back legs, done but not done well and why does anyone want to see it or try making it happen? :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts