Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sold 2 fish that I was told were badis badis. Wrong. After researching trying to understand these fish, someone finally sent me a link to this forum with an article and pictures for Neolamprologus multifasciatus or multies. Mine look exactly like these and now I can understand why I shouldn't have put them in a communtiy tank. I was only doing what the LFS people said.
I would have never put these guys in my community tank had I done my research. As soon as I added the neons in with them from another tank, the multies (who I thought were Badis badis) started being very aggressive to them. So I immediately put them back into the 8 gallon where I first put them. I'm just glad they lived with the two additional moves. The 8 gallon was way too crowded (I'm new at this but I'm learning) so I moved the 2 honey gourami into the 29 gallon before putting the multies back in.

After doing reading I think I'll make a change to the 8 gallon there are now back in.I read that they prefer sand as a substrate and shells to which to dwell. They are in the 8 gallon with a Hillstream Loach and a bamboo shrimp.

1. Should I move the shrimp and the loach to my 29 gallon community tank when its mature enough or leave one of them in the biocube with the mulites.
2. Should I change the gravel to sand? If so what's the best kind? I want something where these little guys with little color will show up. How do you vacuum sand?

I've checked on the temperature and ph requirements for the loach and shrimp compared to the multies and I think as far as those two conditions they could all be ok there for now.

G

·
pool filter sand from home depot or a pool store... $7 for 50 lbs.. i just changed over to sand and africans really like it much better... i would def move the loach and shrimp to your community tank.. however your hillstream loach is probly going to die anyways... they only survive in tanks with a very fast current... every hillstream *** ever got died within a month lets say... make sure you wash off the sand first... and heres a vid from someone on here on how to vacuum sandhttp://www.cichlid-forum.com/videos/cleaning_sand.php.. its sooooooo much easier... the poo jus stays on the top.... i asked everyone about this too a month or so ago... put the sand in a big container i used an 18 gallon one... run water in one side of it so it goes out the opposite side.. i had to put a few loofas underneath the container so the water didnt jus run out right where it was going in under the faucet of the tub... then get ur hands in there and swirl the sand around a bunch... and do this over and over till the water run off is clear.. oh and do it with tepid water... cold water might work better cuz hot/warm water is really cloudy when it comes out sometimes... but its really hard to keep your hands in a bucket of ice cold water.. and then you have to run hot in it when you are done anyways to warm up the sand.. u dont want to put it in cold... the sand goes in easier with water in the tank than trying to do it completely dry... put roughly a lb per gallon... i did 150lbs in my 125 gallon and it was a little too much.. did 50 lbs in my 55 gallon and its perfect...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the sand info.
I've had my reticulated hillstream loach for 2 months; so far so good. Sorry to hear about yours, m1ke715m. My biocube has a pretty good current. The 29 gallon, to which I'll move him later, has a powerful filter. I bought one rated for double the gallons I have in there. It has an adjustable flow, but I usually keep it on the stronger. I hope he'll do ok. I'll do some more reading about this guy.
I "hate it" that you can't just trust what LFS guy tell you (again I was told he'd do great in my communtiy tank) But, as usual, we have to our own research.

I thought about taking the 2 multies back and showing the guys at the LFS that they sold me the wrong thing and getting my money back. But I like these little guys; I don't like having to change out the substrate. But I'm willing to do it. Is there not a fine smooth gravel that would work. I guess I'm a little nervous about the sand. Since I've only been doing this a few months, I'm not an experienced gravel vacuumer.

G

·
just pinch the hose a lil when the sand goes up it.. the poo floats right up into it.. and if the sand gets too high jus pinch the hose with your other hand.. its actually easier cuz u dont gota scoop every bit of gravel into the vac... i was aprehensive before i did it too.. now im sorry i hadnt done it sooner... oh and another thing is any rocks or structure u have in there... make sure you put the base rock all the way on the bottom of the tank like no sand between it and the glass... my tiger loachs dig like crazy... and then i jus break down the rock work till i can get in between the base rocks..... its really easy man theres a reason everyone suggests doing it on here.. i just wish i woulda found this place when i first started in the hobby idk 7 months ago... im new to this too but theres so much information on here and everyone is real friendly and will def steer you in the right direction... good luck let us know how it comes out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts