Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I scored a 50 gallon setup and have been thinking about what to stock it with. Should start cycling this week. I think I have decided on a Mbuna species tank- yes I know that is the dark side. Just for the sake of discussion I was wondering what stock might work for a Tang community tank- might as well ask the experts. It is a bowfront so its only 36 long- is that too small for Cyps? Oh yeah I just started another tank that is mid cycle now- that I am going to stock with L. ocellatus and J. transcriptus so I would like to keep those two species out of this discussion.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
A 50g bowfront 36" should work better for a small Tang community than most Malawi Mbuna though its pretty small for iether and you need to select carefully for both if you want long term success.

Fewer fish for most Tang communities but a mainly mouthbrooder Tang communitty you could crowd em in just like Mbuna if you want. But then the interest in Tang cichlids is in thier varied behaviour and in crowded tanks all interesting behaviour is crowded out the advantages of Tang cichlids over Mbuna would be lost anyway.

All the best James

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.