Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just finished up my 6.6 bookshelf shellie setup. took some time to go and find everything but i think it came together well for being an old betta setup. currently have 5 gold's in there still settling. lemme know wat you guys think. i gladly accept criticism.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are still settling in. theyve only been in tank for a cpl days. soon as i can get some close ups they will get posted.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Anthraxx8500 said:
lemme know wat you guys think. i gladly accept criticism.
You asked...

Looks good, but honestly, I agree that it would be pretty cramped. I have multis in a 10 gallon and that is too small for them. They are smaller than occes.

You're eventually going to need to move them up to a 20 long.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I hope your group is 1m/4f or 2m/3f and I think it could work out. My only other thought is I'm not sure about that filter that came with the tank. I have a Tom's aquarium products nano internal filter on my 2.5g and it's overkill. It would probably be perfect on a 6 gal. I took apart the filter cartridge and removed the carbon and added a second sponge, then you can just pull it apart every couple weeks and rinse the sponges.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have 6 gold occies in a 10 gal with no problems. They've been in there a good month now and everyone seems to be settled in. I have 20 shells for the 6 fish. A large rock divides the tank, and I believe that helps. I don't have no idea what their genders are.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i appreciate the comments. im currently considering a change up on the filtration. *** made it a diy bio media filter. but it is a bit of overkill as most of the flow is isolated to the front. and yes i attempted to go for a 1m 4f situation. not quite sure thats how it worked out but for the most part aggression is very limited so far. i think half burying their shells has helped them settle in a bit. too bad some of them havent figured out that shells = housing... and ya they may need a 20g depending on sex. i honestly only wanted a trio out of the 5 fish or a pair. w.e it works out to in the long run. and visual barriers seem to be the key to keeping them happy. before i added the rocks it was pretty nuts.

·
Registered
212 Posts
maybe add a few 2 or 3 small dither fish. THis may help spread aggression towards other mid ot high level swimmers. Like danios or small tetras neon. Also occies will come out more!!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they come out plenty hunting for baby brine shrimp but thats a really good idea. may have to give it a shot if aggression gets worse. atm its nothing serious

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have wanted to get one of these bookshelf tanks for a while now. The foot print is good considering how many gallons it is. Please keep us updated. I would Like to know if it would be worth getting in the future and what I could keep in it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well good news. managed to come up with a 20 long trade. so sooner or later as piece it together they will have a 20g ;) not sure what else i may toss in there. 5 ocellatus in a 20g long seems a little bland :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts