Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new cichlid is swimming as fast as he can to one wall and back about to the middle of tank he is new in there but it seems odd to me...he is pressed up against the back of the tank also.its the same lap over and over always thee same spot and always a right hand turn around. He hasn't even said hello to anny tank mates.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
it's called pacing and is a sign of an unhappy fish... give it time. The new addition may relax and settle down soon enough... it it goes on for more than a day or two, then you may need to change something up in the tank to allow the new addition to settle in. :thumb:

·
Registered
102 Posts
This may be completely totally unrelated, but when I introduce new fish I turn off the tank lights and cover the tank for 4-6 hours. Trying to keep it as dark as possible.

When the lights come on, it appears that the "old" fish thought the "new" fish was there all along.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
chmey said:
This may be completely totally unrelated, but when I introduce new fish I turn off the tank lights and cover the tank for 4-6 hours. Trying to keep it as dark as possible.

When the lights come on, it appears that the "old" fish thought the "new" fish was there all along.
Lots of people suggest adding fish at night, or simulating night as you did, in order to minimize the attention the newcomers get. Adding in groups is also effective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.