Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And all I can say is WOW....I love these guys! I bought 7 of them for my 90G.
They have such great personalities! Anyways, just thought I'd share and
see if anyone else had good or bad experiences with these guys. So far so
good for me! :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Very nice fish, docile for mbuna. Markings fade a bit with age. They don't fare well with aggresive mbuna.
Enjoy them!
Glenn

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only species that I would consider mildy aggressive in my tank are the Mainganos (5).
So far, they are totally ignoring the Perlmutt's. So far so good. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I've been thinking of getting some, just looking for the right ones :thumb:
Any pics to share?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Yeah I'd love to see pics of them. The only perlmutts I've seen are the pics in the profiles here.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll try and take some pics this weekend. Dewdrop, the pic in your profile, that is a
Maingano, correct? Some people may call it a Johanni... :wink:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Cool adanac50. I'll look forward to the pics.
Yes, that's a mainagano Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos. The true johanni females are yellow when they are small fry and turn blue when they mature some (I think it's the females) while the maingano are both blue(males & females). Johanni and maingano look alot alike as adults. I dunno why people also gave maingano the nicname johanni. It's confusing and dumb IMO since they are 2 different species :roll: . When I bought mine they were sold to me as electric blue johanni but I'm sure they aren't real johanni and will be able to prove it when the 2 I have holding spit (if everything goes ok and some are female lol).

·
Registered
673 Posts
The single pearlmutt I have occupies a 90g with a large and varied group of mbuna. Altho not overly aggressive, he is the undisputed and rearely challenged "king". He will not initiate aggression but quickly takes on any and all overly aggresive tank mates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts