Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im only posting this because I did it and it has turned out to be the official hang out spot for my fish...Its as simple of an idea as it gets, I know..But It really makes a huge difference apparantely to the fish. So I cut a plastic pot in half and you can use the top half of the two halves (there is no top or bottom to this half..this way you can dredge it into your substrate easier) then simply scoop out the substrate from inside. Then I just piled rocks over the buried pot and istead of just having a little hole/ cave amongst the rocks, That little hole opens up into a huge area inside the pot and it does not take up any room because its buried under the subtrate..and you cant see the pot if you arrange rocks correctly.. Simple I know but my fish are obsessed the three I made so figured it was worth sharing..The second pic there behind the aurautus is of the pot buried under the substrate (hard to see the pot) surrounded in rocks , as well as the 3rd and fourth..and fifth is total view of the three in the front of the tank

·
Registered
29 Posts
I dont get it... I cant see where the pot is in any of the pics (other than the first pic :D )

and on i side note... I love your background. Is it custom? If so, what kind of rocks are those, and how did you do it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol ya, You know what I just re-read the post again and it is a bit confusing ..I had already done what I was talking about so could not really post pics of the set-up..sorry about that. The rocks are all real and 'custom' done by me..it took about 12 hours total haha..I aquired the black rocks from my LFS for 29 cents a pound slowly over a few years..The red rock I found in my fields. It was molded into huge pieces of landscaping blocks and covered in mud so it did not look red. I was bored one day and took a sledge to it and it was gorgeous inside, the pics dont do it much justice. As for setting it up I started on one side with the black because its much heavier then the red and worked my way across and then built it up forming large caves inside along the way. The small holes in the rocks you see open up to quite an elaborate maze inside. The fish are loving it, *** had them for 2 1/2 months and have two new sets of fry already and 2 more holding.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I did a somewhat similar thing in my 450. See my TANKS for pics. I wanted to raise the rock off the bottom and used large 4 way pvc connectors to do so. With all the rock in place, you can't see them at all. The 4 way let's the fish enter from the top or swim in/out through either side.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats an awesome idea I know exactly what your saying..So all you can see is the holes under the rocks...That would probably help to get extra water flow to the back behind the rocks as well..which Im hoping wont be an issue in my tank

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The eggcrate shelf rests on all those pvc pieces and the rock the hides all of that. So all my rock is, accept for the front edge, is all raised off the bottom of the tank. Jets help keep flow under all that as well as the lower level intake for the overflow. Seems to be doing a great job keeping it clean under all that rock.

Another thing I did was put ball valves after my return splits off towards the left and right sides of the tank. By shutting down one ball valve at a time, I can direct all the flow towards either side of the tank and basically double the flow to the either side of the jets. The extra flow helps me flush out additional debris before I do a water change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts