Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 496 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm going to give you a list of African Cichlids that I have and you pick out the Herbivore(s).

Protomelas taeniolatus, Aulonocara jacobfreibergi Eureka Albino, Aulonocara Stuartgranti Maleri, Labidochromis caeruleus, Haplochromis blue obliquidens, Sciaenochromis fryeri,I also have another one and its in the same family as the Labidochromis caeruleus. When I picked him out that’s what thought he was but since I’ve had him he is nothing like the other in color wise so I’m thinking it’s a Hybrid or I just can not find him where I’ve been looking he is diffinetly a Labidochromis.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
there are no herbivores in your list.

What was the point of this question? I'm guessing you are interested in what food to offer?
Might I suggest New Life Spectrum?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Number6 said:
there are no herbivores in your list.

What was the point of this question? I'm guessing you are interested in what food to offer?
Might I suggest New Life Spectrum?
Oh sorry I guess I should of explained a little more. I just wanted to start up a forum game, where someone gets the right answer then they get to select some fish from there tank. Its kind of a awareness thing.

Sorry your answer is incorrect, however if the source you are using says other wise please give me a link to your source and I'll give you link to my source as well.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Yeah, missed that this was supposed to be a forum game.

Still... I don't see a herbivore where "herbivore" is defined as an animal that is adapted to eat primarily plant matter.
As bulldog mentions, labs aren't herbivores.
You might be able to find many web sites with incorrect info out there... but if we are playing the game here on C-F then we should defer to the info on this site (or the truth in this case ;) )

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1668

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
hey! Bulldog ninja edited! :lol:

Now Tropheus can be called herbivores...
so at least this game is raising awareness! LOL

So what... is it my turn now?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
xxx has a lake-wide distribution & is primarily an herbivorous cichlid. It feeds by sucking algae from small pockets in the rocks. Like most cichlids, however, xxx is an opportunistic feeder - when plankton is plentiful, it feeds on these as well.
Primarily an herbivore, but some vegans wear leather shoes. Not sure if that would count as an actual herbivore, even though the profile stated it.
" Diet: Herbivore"

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Number6 said:
Yeah, missed that this was supposed to be a forum game.

Still... I don't see a herbivore where "herbivore" is defined as an animal that is adapted to eat primarily plant matter.
As bulldog mentions, labs aren't herbivores.
You might be able to find many web sites with incorrect info out there... but if we are playing the game here on C-F then we should defer to the info on this site (or the truth in this case ;) )

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1668
I am using the profiles from this site :wink: , I will give you a hint...Only one of those species I listed is a Herbivore. By the way I'll give ya another clue. You guys are right the labs are not herbivore.....lol

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
:oops:
son of a...

Ok... this is a good game... Protomelas taeniolatus is a herbivore... I've done that before... thinking of Haps as omnivores and predators... totally forgetting that not all are...

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Yep, Protomelas taeniolatus is the only herbivore on the list, plankton has a large amount of photosynthetic organisms in it, but they would not all be considered "plants". Aulonocara eat organisms they detect in the sand with the sensory organs in their jaw. L. caeruleus are pickers, omnivorous, The victorian hap I believe is omnivorous, and S. fryeri is a piscavore.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Number6 said:
son of a...

Ok... this is a good game... Protomelas taeniolatus is a herbivore... I've done that before... thinking of Haps as omnivores and predators... totally forgetting that not all are...
To tell you the truth I was dumb founded when I found out. I have a small one in a 55g and I have a adult in a 75g with a bunch of rainbows. I guess that kinda explains why he gets a long with the rainbows. Yes I know that is risky but I had those fish together for over 2 years and no problems yet......knock on wood... Your right not many Haps are herbivore, so far this one is the only one I know of which doesnt mean there isnt more...

Well since you got the answer right at least i think you were the one......lol I started this unprepared, at least I had the answer......lol

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
weed_hopper said:
Number6 said:
son of a...

To tell you the truth I was dumb founded when I found out. I have a small one in a 55g and I have a adult in a 75g with a bunch of rainbows. I guess that kinda explains why he gets a long with the rainbows. Yes I know that is risky but I had those fish together for over 2 years and no problems yet......knock on wood... Your right not many Haps are herbivore, so far this one is the only one I know of which doesnt mean there isnt more...

Well since you got the answer right at least i think you were the one......lol I started this unprepared, at least I had the answer......lol
It doesn't mean they won't eat other fish when given the chance, nor does it make them less aggressive to other fish. Getting along with the rainbows is all rather incidental.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fogelhund said:
[It doesn't mean they won't eat other fish when given the chance, nor does it make them less aggressive to other fish. Getting along with the rainbows is all rather incidental.
I realize that i was kinda making fun when I said being herbivore thats why he dont bother the rainbows.The rainbows are a very active fish much like a african cichlid. The rainbows I have are the larger of the species none of them are less than 4 inches. I dont think I would go as far to say its incidental. Perhaps on the risky side yes but the way I see it when the rainbows go into there breeding thing they to get pretty agressive and I have seen the rainbows chase that Empress.The Red Empress is a more passive then most I'm not saying they are not agressive either. I do see him chase but its from one end to the other and you wont see him do it again for a while. Now if I threw in another African Cichlid I think I would have severe issues.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
So this means I'm up?

Ok, so we are in the General African section... so I'm guessing we need to stick to the Rift Valley cichlids?

Ok... which Tanganyikan cichlid species or variant is not of suspected hybrid origin (data is published though not necessarily on C-F).

Neolamprologus marunguensis, Enantiopus sp. "Kilesa", Neolamprologous buescheri, Tropheus sp. "Black"

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This one Neolamprologous buescheri, the last one on your list does not say either way. I'm using the profiles from this site.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
you're back up then weedhopper!

We should be calling this rift lake Trivial pursuit!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Number6 said:
you're back up then weedhopper!

We should be calling this rift lake Trivial pursuit!
Actually I was intending that this stayed more on the herbivore aspect, but what you did was cool. This is turning out to be educational.

I dont have anything right at this minute I just got up.....lol I need my coffee...I'll post something little later on this morning unless you got something.......Go ahead

1 - 20 of 496 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.