Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of the strains of cyps hardier? I have read about people having them wasting away.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have had my cyp unitas for well over a year, I originally purchased a group of 9 fry which turned into 6 males and 3 females, back a few Septembers ago. I had one smaller female who never grew as much waste away, and I lost another female after stripping fry from her (first time I ever stripped a fish). I then purchased another group with 3 adult females and 4 males to bring my totals to 10males and 4 females and have not had a single cyp death from that batch, been amost a year got them last February.

In conclusion of the 16 cyps I purchased I had one waste away and one die from my inexperience, but other than that they have been a hardy variant. I also have about an 80% fry survival rate and only lose a couple per batch I collect.

Paracyps on the otherhand, have been a different story and seem much more prone to wasting.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for posting that link to your older thread jrf. Great info in there from direct experience and multiple viewpoints. :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts