Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, My grandfather had roughly 300 tanks of all sizes in his basement and 8 bathtubs. Well he passed away and left me his Julies. I'm in college and right now I have them at home, but in my tank in my dorm someone was pregnant and I'm not sure who (In this tank I have 1 female pineapple sword, a male Red Wag Platty, 2 Female Red Wag Plattys and a male and female shell dweller, not sure what species.)

But I have winter break and I want to bring the fry home, my question is will my Julies eat these fry? Or will they be ok in the 10 gallon tank with them.

If it helps, my Julies have 3 fry of their own.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just wondering because i know they don't eat there own, but ok guess I'll put em with my cats

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they are sintadonis (sp?) and the big one that I have...well bigger (less then an inch) doesn't bother my fry at all, and the three at home are about half his size so I'm hoping it will work.

·
Registered
173 Posts
One of the species of those Cats sneaks eggs into the spawning site of mouthbrooding cichlids. The eggs are picked up and hatch before the cichlid eggs and their first food is the cichlid eggs. So the cichlid ends up releasing nothing but catfish, which eat any cichlid they can catch (usually at night when the cichlids are asleep) and fit in their mouth.

Just FYI :wink:

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Synodontis are a favorite on the forum as a recommendation for fry control. They eat them at night when the fry are sleeping so it's not something you see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, I was wondering where all of the other fry went that I had. And why my Synodontis has gotten so fat.

I've herd about breeding nets, I'm thinking that's the best way to go since my Julies will eat my other fish's fry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts