Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to move my tank that my julies were in to the other side of the room. After the move the smaller one (I think the smaller ones are males) started getting beat up on and chased around by the other one. They had recently spawned about a month ago and never ever had any problems between the two of them before. Should I put the other one in a separate tank for a while or should I wait it out and hope for the best. Its getting pretty bad.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
If your victim fish is spending all his time at the surface and looking pale, I would remove him before he becomes sick.

Juli's are famous for divorcing. Maybe others can suggest ways to encourage a reconciliation.

I think you can add a group and try to get a new pair to form.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick response. At first I thought he was stressed from the move now I finally caught what was going on. The female seems to be hunting him down all over the tank now. Hes staying at the top and starting to get beat up looking. I'm going to put him in a different tank for a while maybe the other one will chill out by the time hes healed up

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You can also try a divider. That way each can get established on his/her own side before removing the divider and effectively bringing them together again. Otherwise. I think I might remove the aggressor and let the male get established before reintroducing the female. I'd guess that if you heal up the male and add him back, he'll just get beat up again. How big is the tank?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well heres the latest on the divorce. I got the male healed up in a 30 gallon tank and now I took the female out of the 90 and put her in with him in the 30. They are getting along well. I'm thinking I might just keep them in there since they are getting along. Hopefully all goes well and they can start spawning for me again.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was going to suggest earlier that you take the female out and let the male heal in the tank with the rockwork rearranged. Then reintroduce the female. Since the male will have established control of the territory the reunion might have been more ammicable.

In essence, that is what you did by moving her to the 30 he was already in control of. Nice call!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Keep an eye on their health but let them work it out if possible. It takes time. Mine have done the same thing in the past when i moved them. They had plenty of hiding spots so they just spent their time in different places for a while. They worked it out and are now producing fry again. Just had a new batch of 30-40 fry hatch last week.

My pair were very aggressive in my old community tank so they are now all by themselves in a 20. They don’t do much (the male parents the fry and doesnt leave the rocks ever) but seem to be happy about their privacy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts