Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife had me pick up a few (4) Occie Gold's and she likes the Julitranscriptus as well (none yet). She's also enamored with the Multi's, but the LFS only has 1 small and 2 medium ones.

I was thinking about putting them together in a 20 breeder.

Recommendations? Ideas? Concerns?

(new to Tang's - I have a 125g malawi mbuna tank)

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
In a tank that size, I'd pick one or the other shellie and then mix it with the juli. You could always pick up a 10 gallon for the muliti's and put the occies and juli's in the 20.

Welcome to the other lake, you'll enjoy it. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
In my experiences I wouldn't put Juli's in with anything else in a 20 gallon tank. I had a six foot 120 gallon tank with juli's and a colony of Blue Bismark fronts and the juli's ruled that tank. I also don't like to mix shellies in the same tank especially a 20 gallon, if for no other reason that if you get a male and female multis you will fill a 20 with their family rather fast.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so single species shellie - shouldn't be a problem convincing her.

_IF_ I were to put the J.Transcriptus in there with the shellies, how many would be appropriate in a 20 Long?

Right now the shellies are in a 35 gallon hex (rather tall) - I have 1 shell per fish.. I dont know male/female though.

How many of the Occie's should I keep together in a 35H vs 20L?

Yeah, I dont know about ANOTHER tank (in addition to the 20L).. if we do the 20L (move our beardie from it to our 75G tank with another beardie) that would be 7 tanks... my kids would mock me. :oops:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
_IF_ I were to put the J.Transcriptus in there with the shellies, how many would be appropriate in a 20 Long?
Start with a few and be ready to remove extras after a pair or trio form. I think a lot depends on personality of the inidividual fish, as I've not had any kind of aggression from my juli's other than toward each other. Just make sure you stay with the smaller ones.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Glaneon said:
Yeah, I dont know about ANOTHER tank (in addition to the 20L).. if we do the 20L (move our beardie from it to our 75G tank with another beardie) that would be 7 tanks... my kids would mock me. :oops:
Geeze I have 3 tanks (2 are mine 1 is my son's) and it is my wife that mocks me already. I'm so doomed. :x

I also have heard julies may work. Give it a shot and be ready to move some out if problems arise. There is usually something going on with just the occies but they really only use the bottom few inches of the tank. I'm contemplating adding something in the mix to see if I can get more use out of the mid to upper portion of the tank. But adding them right now when a pair has just spawned for me would not be wise. The female isn't being super tolerant of her tank mates right now :lol:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
While everybody has a different experience, I'm pretty sure tmore isn't talking about J. transcriptus.

I'd give it a go in the 20L, starting with 5 J. transcriptus and 5 L. occelatus. Provide at least 4 shells for each occie, scattered about a bit, but leaving plenty of room for a rock pile in one corner for the julies. Stack it high so that the julies can hang out far away from the shell bed. Also, see if you can leave between 6-8" between the shells and the rocks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My experience with J. Transcriptus support what Triscuit just said, particularly the point that anyyones experience may differ. I would be worth a try if you keep a plan-B at hand. If is works you will have your own good experience.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I may try it. I do have 1 hospital tank, as long as it's not occupied, I have recourse. Unfortunately the J.Transcriptus are $18 here for 1 1/2" to 2".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts