Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got back into the hobby. After setting up my tank with a few starter fish, I decided I wanted to try to do a mostly Lake Tang tank. I have 2 Yellow Leleupis, a Orange comp and a Julechromis Marlieri. I also added what I believe is a Vittatus. My Jule went after him quite often.So I decided to get a Julechromis Transcriptus to maybe change his or hers focus. So my big Jule ended up going after the Transcriptus also. Three weeks later they are friends. He leaves the much smaller Transcriptus alone. Today I noticed them both hiding in a cave together. Also the Marlieri is now being more aggresive than usual to the other fish. Is it possible for them to mate? Forgive my ignorance, I am new to these type of fish.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
It is possible for them to mate. When doing a tank with singles...you usually go all one gender i.e. all male. You would also expect Julidochromis of various species...even if all male...to fight.

What are the dimensions of your tank?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
36x22,the front is bowed. Thanks for the info. I think for sure they did. I have a bigger Blue parrot I got when I started the tank, which was the boss of the tank,he looks more like a convict than parrot. He is now being chased away by the jule. I was thinking of moving him anyway since I decided to try to go the Tang route. Fyi I found the Telmatochromis Vittatus dead this morning. These Jules do not play around. If I didnt like them so much I probably wouldnt keep, but I find them fascinating. Weird thing is, my Red tail shark can swim freely for the most part. He was another fish I got when I started , with some albino barbs. They are all alive with no issues. Except the red tail chasing the barbs after a meal for fun. One question, will the male try to eat the fry afterwards? Or do the male and female usually both look after them?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
That is a small tank for the fish you have in there already...is this a grow-out tank or your destination tank?

For an example, in a 36" tank I would do a pair of julidochromis OR comps and a colony of shellies with no other fish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to get at least a 48 or 60ish when I move. Until this happened they were doing fine. A little chasing now and then,but otherwise no issues (except for the vittatus). I may move the striped Blue Parrot to my friends tank for now. My 2 inch Comp just keeps his scales out and they usually leave him alone. I bought all fish on the small side besides the Parrot and female Jule, the rest are all under 3 inches. I have plenty of rocks and cover but the jules seem to know it like a maze. I totally get it now, not enough room to hide or make the Jules feel safe I guess. I have no idea how to tell which is a male or female with these fish? I read the females are bigger, so when I got the transriptus they were all the same size. I did not plan or try to do this. If they have fry will they kill everything in my tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I would not expect them to kill everything in your tank, but you don't want to keep the hybrid fry either. I would rehome the leleupi and choose which one you want to keep among the marlieri, transcriptus and vittatus.

Then stock for a 75G after you move, but consider avoiding combinations that are likely to crossbreed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts