Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have an elecrtic blue johanni male and female. The female had the same markings, body shape, and she is exactly the same, but she is yellow. I saw the pic for the female on the profile, and she looks all yellow. Nothing like my female. It mine in fast a female.

Also I have a peacock cichlid. 2.5 inches. Have stripes, and is starting to look yellow and blueish. Anyidea's where to start? what profiles do I look at.

Last question. I have a red zebra. My friend has a blue zebra. Will the blue be a male, and the red a female? The bodies and features look the same, just orange for mine, and powder blue for hers.

I don't have a suitable camera, so I was hoping my descriptions are ok.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I have an elecrtic blue johanni male and female. The female had the same markings, body shape, and she is exactly the same, but she is yellow. I saw the pic for the female on the profile, and she looks all yellow. Nothing like my female. It mine in fast a female.
Female Melanochromis Johanni can show horizontal barring. So can subdominant males. If the fish was sold to you as an "Electric blue johanni" we can't be 100% sure what it is because this is a trade name that can describe a few different species and crosses. A picture would be most helpful.

Also I have a peacock cichlid. 2.5 inches. Have stripes, and is starting to look yellow and blueish. Anyidea's where to start? what profiles do I look at.
There are quite a few. You might not be able to tell until the peacock gets closer to full coloration.

Last question. I have a red zebra. My friend has a blue zebra. Will the blue be a male, and the red a female? The bodies and features look the same, just orange for mine, and powder blue for hers.
There are probably over 30 species of mbuna which have "zebra" in their name. This often causes a lot of confusion. Your red zebra is probably a Metriaclima Estherae. Most male and female Met. Estherae sold in the states are red, but there are some locations in the lake which have blue males and red females, for example Metriaclima Estherae (Minos Reef).
I'd guess that your friend's "zebra" is a Metriaclima Caillanos which is usually sold under the trade name of "Cobalt blue zebra." But again, this is just a guess based on your descriptions and there are quite a few different species it possibly could be, including a male Met. Estherae from minos reef.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts