Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after my weekly water change i noted that 2 of my Jewels were really hanging out a lot and doing there dance.. last night my 5 year old said she way a "big mess of bumps on a rock" so i went to investigate and sure enough they laid a butt load of eggs and he went over to do his shaky shaky and now they are fanning away and keeping every one else clear of the spot.... i will update with pix tonight i hope but i wanted to ask a question or two...

can you (should you) remove the fry to a grow out tank after they are free swimming? i am worried that they may not get the food i have for them if they are at the bottom of a 72.....

in the future if they have another batch of eggs - could i remove hte rock and put it in a 5 gallon with an air stone under the eggs to have them hatch and start to raise them in that? just wan to get the best possible results in the future and not mess things up to bad along the way.///

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no ideas huh? well here is the plan for the moment.... after the fry are free swimming we are going to move them to a 5 gallon with a sponge filter, feeding baby bites (i have had great results with this with other species over the years) and see how many survive.. in the event that the numbers are very low (say under 20) on the next round we will remove the entire rock and place it in a 5 gallon with an air stone below the eggs for water movement... again if this generates low numbers we will consider placing the parents in with the rick on the next round... with any luck we will have a successful brood and beable to sell or trade the fry after keeping some stock for our own tank of course....

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Haven't kept them myself, so you can take this with a grain of salt.
From what I've read, they're generally good parents, however, if stressed they've been known to eat eggs. It's best to remove fry by 1cm, but leave a few so the parents don't fight each other.
If you're moving a rock with eggs on it, use a container that fits in your tank to transport the rock to the new tank, ensuring that the eggs remain water covered during transport.
Do not remove other fish from the tank they're in. They need other fish to expend their aggression on otherwise they'll use each other.
Also, keep the parents well fed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you unfortunately in my worry and haste we pulled them at wiggler stage (last night).... so we will see what happens LOL.... 1st time for them and for us so we are expected to make mistakes

·
Registered
15 Posts
How are the fry, bearwithfish?

When our Jewel fry had hatched but hadn't yet become free-swimming, we scooped them up and put them in a clear plastic "cricket keeper" (which probably started as a beta container) with some mesh under the slotted lid to keep the fry inside.

We sank the container back into the community tank so that the parents could see them and "protect" them. We positioned the fry container under a gentle flow from a filter's spray bar to provide circulation.

To feed the fry, we pulled out the container and squirted baby brine shrimp in for the fry and let it sink and be eaten. After a few minutes, we put the container back into the community tank. Some of the baby brine shrimp would be circulated out, but most stayed in.

We currently have over 40 fry that were hatched last summer. We planned to trade them into our LFS, but so far, my sweetheart isn't ready to part with them. ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
darn i wish i had heard of this sooner i love that idea!!! well here is the official update

we siphoned most of the fry out at the wiggler stage into a 5.5 gall with a quick made air driven filter.... ans placed a bag of gravel in there also to promote cycling.... and a small heater... as of tonight 95% of them have started to swim and seem to be doing ok ... dropped in some baby bites tonight and a few found it and then they all came up to get some (looks good so far!!)

in the main tank it turns out we missed some (about 20-30ish) and the parents are doing a great job protecting them as predicted!!!

odd note however the ones in the DT started swimming 2 days ahead of the others.... my theory is the lack of circulation in the fry tank and there for less incentive to struggle a bit.. my better half thinks its the parents.... to be honest i think a bit of both are at play here... my hope is to have this brood achieve a 50% or higher survival rate in order to call it a success.. anything less is a great learning experience... more i would call **** lucky...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.