Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My jewel laid a large amount of eggs last night that look like they have been fertilized by the male and she's still protecting them. I've been reading up on what to do. I've read to let them hatch in the tank with all the other cichlids and their parents. Then remove the fry to a 10g when they are about 1cm long. Or I can take the clay pot they are on and put it in a 10gal on its own. Which is the preferred method?

also does the 10g need filtration or would an air pump do for now?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
When my fish breed, I like to let the adults protect and raise the fry first time through. If you're not able to save any in this first batch, no worry, because if they spawned once, they will again.

I'd let things be and get the 10 gallon tank cycled. While still eggs, it won't matter, but eventually they'll be baby fish and be excreting ammonia.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I always preferred to remove the eggs and parents to a fry tank. Just to save/protect the other fish in the main tank (I usually kept a spare 40b on hand, but a 29/30g would work, if you have one). If she/they aren't being terrors, you could leave them be till the eggs hatch. In my tank, it was hard to get to little babies free swimming, so that's also why I do it before that point.

A 10g might be a bit small for both parents. <- Is the male not helping guard the eggs? You could maybe just remove the female if he's not. But I'd keep mom with babies.

And I'd say yes--having a filter is always a good thing. As the mod said, it won't matter when they're eggs--move with make sure to take care of them, but a filter can't hurt right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The male is helping out. I guess I left that out of the original post.

I guess the whole question is a little moot now. She and he started pulling the eggs off this afternoon and they are wigglers.

I've got a spare 20 and 10. I just hadn't gotten around to getting another spare filter after I put my other spares into use. I'm going to have to get one tomorrow and maybe get one of those tank partitions to use for now.

None of their tank mates seem to be bothering the adults or little ones yet. They just stick to the same spot they've been at for a few days and rest seem to leave them alone. I will now pat myself on the back and say i've done a good job setting the thing up with pre-established territorial markers, heh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts