Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I thought I had two female jewels left in a 55 and boy was I wrong. I started with 6 and got rid of the aggressors till I was down to two. Well I was doing my normal checks on tanks and saw that both of my jewels were guarding this one flower pot. Well they spawned and to my surprise the eggs are fertile. So my male is like 2" and the female 3". Is this normal for them to spawn at this size? I don't know what to do with all these fry. My kribs just spawned again and now the jewels. I guess my ebjds' and jd's will he eating good.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Is this normal for them to spawn at this size?
Cangrats, and I'd say it's normal for them.

I don't know what to do with all these fry. My kribs just spawned again and now the jewels. I guess my ebjds' and jd's will he eating good.
That's certainly an option. You might want to pull the best dozen or so of each and just raise those up. Easier to move a smaller group. Have you checked with any local shops?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I actually sold back 5 of the original 7. They gave me $30 store credit for the 5 :lol: . Considering they were purchased for $0.99. Yeah my gf loves jewels so we will probably keep a select few. The fry are just about finished eating the egg sacs so we will see if they become free swimming. As to trading them or selling them at the lfs they have way too many at the moment and probably will thru the warmer months so looks like feeders for now unless someone wants some .

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I have free swimming fry and man are there a bunch of them. I removed half of them last night and put them in a 10g for now. I have a jd that was getting into the swarm of fry. These jewels show they are very young due to the way they are watching the fry. Very interesting . These fish will take on anything at any size .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts