Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an newly set up 120 gallon african cichild tank, 6 weeks running so far. I recently added a jewel cichlid on the advice of my LFS even though it is not an african. This jewel cichlid is seeking out and constintly biting at by upside down catfish, follows him into caves and bits at his fins, most of his fins are tatered. (She has been in the tank for 2.5 days) Will this aggression settle down, or should the jewel be removed? I am very found of my catfish. I have a few aggressive fish that I am watching, but I never expected this from the jewel, is this normal behaviour? :x

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
I'd remove the jewel...why risk your catfish?

·
Registered
912 Posts
First, Jewel IS an African Cichlid, but from Western Africa (why do so many people think that the only Cichlids in Africa come from the Rift Lakes?). The difference in behavior usually makes them a poor tankmate for Rift Lake Cichlids. The Mystus is an Asian Catfish, but it resembles some of the riverine Synodontis, which the Jewel would see as a threat. So it takes the aggressor position to run the catfish out of his (the Jewel's) new territory. It will not stop, as these are very persistent fish, and the territory is more fixed than with Haplochromines, for example.

I would certainly remove the Jewel if your emotional attachment is to the Catfish. To be honest, I'm surprised that catfish was doing well in a Rift Lake tank to begin with, but most Cats are generally pretty resilient and adaptable fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts