Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Some updates on this tank over the course of the last year.
Jewels have not been so prolific. About 5-6 spawns over the last year with only 3 producing a small amount of fry (similar to the last video, with maybe a few more fry). Considered 2 likely possibilities for the small number of fry: they are placing the wrigglers too close to the power head and they are getting blown across the tank or they are getting eaten by the many demasoni fry in the tank. I have unplugged the power head shortly after the eggs are being laid so I have now concluded that predation is the likely explanation.
Early in the new year, one of the younger males became dominant so I removed the other 2 males. This young male bred with the pair of females, now making it 3 males this pair of females has bred with.
The ridiculous growth rate that the 2 young males had surviving in this tank I believe has a lot to do with having large numbers of demasoni fry to supplement their diet. First time i have ever had some jewel fry survive in a tank with out having removed them. IME, very common with convicts to have fry as survivors in the community tank and I once had 2 female cons that were 4" at 10 months of age which is humungus for a female con at that age, and I believe eating the fry of succeeding spawns played a large role in their super fast growth rate.
Anyways, now at 1 1/2 year age, the males from a batch removed are now all larger then the male that was a survivor in the tank. At 6 months of age this entire batch were all smaller then jewels would typically be at this age. But now they are larger, so slow or fast growth rate at an early age does not always have much to do with later stages of growth.
Just recently, I replaced the male in this 75 gal. with the largest male and also got rid of one of the older females. So it now consists of 1 young male, 2 young females and the 2 older females. I am currently considering getting rid of the smallest young female as it's really not doing as well as the others. The newly introduced young male is now paired up with the larger of the young females, but is also flirting with the older females. The remaining 6 males I currently have are all in the 180 gal.
When you breed fish and keep some you eventually have to make decisions on which adults to keep. I have a tendency to favour the younger generations (Mystery box?, don't know what it will become). I had 4 male demasoni in 4 tanks....decided to keep 2 (180 gal and 90 gal.) and replace 2 with younger males. When I removed the dominant male in this 75 gal. and put the younger smaller male in, sort of an all out war broke out amongst the group of demasoni females. Two were casualties, but it is now settled down. For the first time, no breeding for a number of months as the male was subordinate to the larger females. So no demasoni fry in the tank. But that will soon change as I witnessed them doing their breeding act a couple nights ago.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
As sort of side note, I am now witnessing a trio or "3some" with my convicts in the 125 gal. Always thought of this possibility with convicts and thought I would eventually see it with convicts at some point. Female pairing with cons are quite common.......though i have yet to see female con pairings as long as there is larger, dominant males in the tank. That is, until now.
There are 6 females and 3 male convicts in my 125 gal. They are all 2 1/2 years old ( except 2 of the striped females that are 3 years old). The 2 pink female cons have recently paired up together and defend together as a team, especially against other rival female convicts. Yesterday, this pair of 'pink' females was paired up with the 'pink' male. They were all together as one team! Today, the pair of 'pink females have switched males and have formed a team with one of the striped males. I think it likely they will breed together as one team fairly soon, and will witness something similar to my jewels. Time will tell.
A while back a new trio formed for a little while, with my jewels. The dominant female with the young female and male. No breeding yet with this new trio, and as of today, doesn't appear the 2 females are still together.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I should know better then try to predict what convicts are going to do from one day to the next :lol:
The day after I last posted (nov. 12), one of the pink females laid eggs. The other pink female was clearly no longer paired with the other. Male flirts with at least 2 females fairly close by but doesn't let them get too close to the eggs. The pink female with the eggs, never leaves her eggs even for a second, not even to eat----typical of females that have done it a few times in tanks with a fair number of fish.
IF I ever see anything similar in convicts, as I have witnessed a trio with jewels, it's not happening yet.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.