Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a red adult male Jewel (Sniglet) who has been spending a lot of time resting, and appears to be breathing heavily out of one gill, but normally out of the other. When I fed them last night he was eager to eat but, like many sick fish, was unable to eat much. He seemed to have a bit of difficulty chewing up his food, though he did put extra effort into it. In general he holds his own when bigger fish challenge him, but he is the smallest in the tank so it may be a challenge for him to get well in there.

I have a 120 gal with mixed Africans. Currently a bit underpopulated. The water tests normally and it's been given a thorough cleaning within 10 days. I have twin cannister filters but have one of them turned off as it is overdue for a media change.

Normally I would just isolate him and let him be alone for a while. I have a 6.6 hospital and a 2 gal I can set up, but the 6.6 is occupied by another fish who appears to be healthy, but I'm not sure I want him back in my main tank until I can add more fish, so the environment will be less territorial.

So do I:

A) put Sniglet in the 2 gal.. since he's small he may not feel cramped.
B) put him in with 6.6 with the other fish (a small male peacock, Super King).
C) put him in the 6.6 and move Super King to the main tank.
D) leave him in the main tank and give some sort of treatment to the whole tank
E) something else

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I would go with 'A', remove the sniglet to the 2 gallon tank and treat him with metronidazole or Jungle Parasite Clear. (Sounds like bloat)

On the main tank I would do a partial water change with a good quality declorinator and siphon the gravel and then I would treat all fish with metronidazole soaked food.

Make sure you completely clean the filters in the turned off filter before you turn it on again since the beneficial bacteria will have died and could cause an ammonia spike if suddenly released into the tank.

Robin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robin said:
I would go with 'A', remove the sniglet to the 2 gallon tank and treat him with metronidazole or Jungle Parasite Clear. (Sounds like bloat)
The breathing issue was gone very quickly, but he is spending a lot of time in corners away from the other fish. I think the issue actually is that he's getting picked on a lot. I think the underpopulation is a bigger problem for him than I noticed at first. So he may not be sick. However, I'm still going to isolate him. I just took a break from trying to catch him to type this post. He's still quick enough to escape the net, so that's good. :)

On the main tank I would do a partial water change with a good quality declorinator and siphon the gravel and then I would treat all fish with metronidazole soaked food.
Despite the likelihood that there is no disease, should I do this as a precaution anyway?

Make sure you completely clean the filters in the turned off filter before you turn it on again since the beneficial bacteria will have died and could cause an ammonia spike if suddenly released into the tank.

Robin
Oops. I didn't know it worked that way. But I just tested the water and it's clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts