Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 EBJD's in the tank around 2"s....2 have what looks like a bubble eye, and 2 look "flat". Which is the "normal" looking way the eye should be? 1 is very dark blue and the other 3 are kind of faded blue or lighter blue-is this an indication of what they will look like as they grow out?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Colors change drastically in Blue Dempseys...

The most dominant fish is usually the darkest. If he is removed the next most dominant will darken up...

Eye problems are fairly common. It is commonly accepted they are genetically prone to this issue and the illness itself is parasitic based... white stringy poo is another common sign of illness which is also commonly believed to be parasitic based...

The use of JPC (Jungle Parasite Clear) has been noted to help 'cure' a mildly sick fish... UV lights work wonderfully as prevention. If you buy any of these guys at your LFS I suggest using JPC to quarantine them and UV to then keep them safe.

Dempseys have been one of my favorite fish for many years and I've become even more attached to them in the last couple years while keeping Blues...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anytime I have a question, you are there to answer- thanks. I am starting to keep these guys again and I'm sorry I ever stopped keeping them. I'm not taking any of these from the lfs as they are being treated for ick :?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Ick is a parasitic based illness as well so if they come through that treatment ick free it is likely that the same treatment helped them in regards to other possible parasitic illnesses… If they have a nice body shape, color and are healthy after treatment they may be a good buy.

I’ve always favored JDs myself and since I started keeping Blue ones I’ve been captivated. So I always show favor to threads about JDs…

1 - 4 of 4 Posts